Sunday, November 22, 2015

A Note from Lynn

My friend, Lynn Kaczmarek, stopped by with a note that's perfect for the season, and this weekend. I hope you enjoy hearing from her occasionally.

*****

I’ve been thinking a lot about books lately. Perhaps it’s the need to bury myself in something so I don’t think about how wrong things have gone in the world. I read mysteries/crime fiction/thrillers almost exclusively – it’s the structure, the knowing that bad things will happen, but resolution will be achieved. And there are some wonderful books being written these days.

My recent reading has included Lake House by Kate Morton, The Alienist by Caleb Carr, Elizabeth George’s new book A Banquet of Consequences and Louise Penny’s newest, The Nature of the Beast. All are wonderful examples of fine writing, fine characters, fine plots. But Penny’s books are something more – they are filled with horrible things couched in poetry. And as a result they are even more frightening. But always, thankfully, they provide hope… sometimes only a glimmer, but hope nonetheless. And for that I am eternally thankful.


And with Thanksgiving soon approaching, I find I am ever more thankful for books. For those that provide hope; for those that expand the curious mind and for those that keep the dark world at bay. May you too have something or someone in your life for which to be thankful. As for me, I’m off to read something remarkable on this dark, dreary, cold Wisconsin day.


10 comments:

Lesa said...

Thanks for stopping by, Lynn. I hope you found something brilliant to read today!

Rosemary said...

I so agree Lynn - in these really quite frightening days here in Europe, I find myself turning more and more to comfort reading - hence the Debbie Macombers, Barbara Pyms, James Runcies and even E Nesbits are coming off the shelves once more. Daughter and I are also watching more 'comfort TV' - Inspector Lynley, Lewis, The Great Pottery Throw Down - that kind of thing, though we are also very much into London Spy, a new and very unusual thriller.

Enjoy your cosy reading today!

Rosemary

Nan said...

I love this posting so much! To Rosemary, have you seen River??

Rosemary said...

Hi Nan

No we missed The River - so annoying, it had great reviews. Maybe we can watch it on i-player or whatever it's called?

Rosemary

Nancy said...

I too enjoyed reading this column. It's true, books are a safe haven when so much goes wrong around us. I'm also a huge fan of Louise Penny!

Lynn said...

Thanks for yr comment Rosemary - I love comfort TV! My favorites include Midsomer Murders, Rosemary and Thyme and Lewis. And oh yea, Endeavor. Love them all...

Rosemary said...

I love all of those Lynn, but I struggle to persuade my daughter to watch the first two with me! Endeavour is brilliant - hope there will soon be a new series.

Bonnie K. said...

Liked. I have all of these books except for The Alienist. I've seen the above mentioned tv programs and loved them all. I wished there were more Rosemary and Thyme episodes.

Kaye Barley said...

This was lovely, thank you, Lynn.

Clea Simon said...

Thanks for this - books are both wonderful as a refuge and a means of understanding/getting into the skin of others, which we need more than ever!