Thursday, February 05, 2015

Comfort or Cozy Reads

Last night was our Books & Bottles book group met. I love this group. Several regulars show up
every month, and we have a rotating group of new members. It's just fun to meet all these people who love books, and have different taste in reading.

This month, our topic was comfort or cozy reads. I told them last month they didn't have to think of it as cozy mysteries. Bring any book that you'd sit and read in front of the fireplace. We had everything from urban fantasy to Debbie Macomber to Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals. One of the books I'm reading fits, Sheila Connolly's mystery set in Ireland, An Early Wake. But, my true comfort read is an out-of-print collection of essays that I've mentioned here before. It's Patricia Leimbach's A Thread of Blue Denim.  Patricia Leimbach was a farm wife and a columnist who lived on a farm near my hometown. She was the first author who ever spoke at any library for me. And, she wrote essays that called me home and spoke to my heart, essays about books and rural life and family. This is the book I'll pull out in the middle of the night if I can't sleep. Or, it's the book I'll read when nothing seems to fit. I've used some of the essays for Readers' Theater. This is my comfort read.

So, what is your comfort read, the book you would turn to in the middle of the night, or when nothing else suits? What's the book that makes you think of a comfortable chair in front of a fire?

15 comments:

Patricia T said...

I would have to say one of my Victorian poetry books. I used to collect them, especially the illustrated ones. I have a few shelves, of them (half my cabinet) and can't pick just one.

Margie Bunting said...

My ultimate comfort read is a children's book by Elizabeth Goudge, The Little White Horse. I have it in paperwork and reread it every few years. I was delighted to hear that it is also JK Rowling's favorite children's book. Actually, just about anything from Elizabeth Goudge is a comfort read.

Page said...

Anything by Steve Berry.

Lesa said...

What a variety of responses - Victorian poetry, a children's book, and Steve Berry! That the pleasure of last night's group as well - so much variety.

Nann said...

Hard to imagine "Team of Rivals" as a comfort read...maybe her baseball memoir. I would choose anything by Gladys Taber. One of my casual bookhunting goals is to get all of the Stillmeadow books.

P.S. Is your blog available via Bloglovin'? I have tried to link up but Bloglovin' says it can't find "Lesa's Book Critiques."

Lesa said...

Oh, I understand why Gladys Taber fits. I seem "Team of Rivals" more as a comfortable read - I wanted men to feel comfortable coming back to the group, so I said anything that you sit in front of the fire and read. (smile)

I'm not familiar with Bloglovin'. I'll check it out, Nann.

Mary Barton said...

Anything set in the English or Irish countryside or on a dark, misty moor. Anything from the Bronte sisters to Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce to Rhys Bowen to M.C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin and Hamish MacBeth.

Mary Barton said...

Oh, how could I forget my favorite author, Louise Penny? Any of the Three Pines books, please, and preferably read in the Bistro.

Lesa said...

It does sound like there's a theme there, Mary (smile). So, have you read Sheila Connolly's mysteries set in County Cork?

Mary Barton said...

I have read and enjoyed the first two, and thanks to you reminding me that her latest was now out, I just bought the third! :-)

Birdhouse Books said...

In general, my comfort books are family sagas, historical fiction, cozy mysteries, and children's books. My ultimate comfort reread is the Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace.

Lesa said...

Loved Connolly's latest, Mary!

Lesa said...

Betsy-Tacy! I haven't read them in years, but loved them then.

Melissa Bo said...

Good question!

I'm a big fan of Debbie Macomber, and I would consider her books my comfort reads. =)

Lesa said...

I like Debbie Macomber. And, I like Sherryl Woods' Chesapeake Shores series. Those are a comfort read to me, too, Melissa.