Wednesday, December 17, 2014

New York City-Dream Trip- Sunday

William Cullen Bryant welcomed us to Bryant Park on Sunday. We went to see the Winter Village and the skating at Bryant Park. The Winter Village is a number of booths selling crafts and goods, and very good hot cranberry cider.

That was our entire morning before we headed off to Broadway to see A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder. This Tony-award winning musical was the reason we made this trip. I had seen it in May. It's wonderful! And, Anna had listened to the soundtrack, and knew she'd love it. Of course, we loved it all the more this time.

Like Les Miserables, the cast of Gentleman's Guide was collecting for the Cure. I bought the cd, Carols for a Cure, the sixteenth holiday cd put out by the Broadway Companies performing that season. And, then they told us for $5 we could have our pictures taken with the stars of the show, who would meet people at the exits, and pose in costume. So, the lighting is bad, but that's me with Bryce Pinkham, who played Monty Navarro.

We didn't have much time after that play to get across town to a small theater in a church. The York Theatre Company has been performing noteworthy musicals for twenty years as "Musicals in Mufti". On Monday, the cast gets their script. The following weekend, they perform the play. This weekend, it was My Favorite Year starring Douglas Sills in the role Peter O'Toole played in the movie. I saw Douglas Sills in his most famous role as The Scarlet Pimpernal when he played it with the touring Broadway company in Naples, Florida. Many might also recognize Richard Kind in the play.

We walked back to the hotel that night, so that's when we had the chance to see the tree at Rockefeller Center, and the skaters there. So, we began and ended the day with skaters.

Oh, and one final picture. I have a friend who loves The Librarians movies, and now the TV show. For librarians everywhere, the Times Square billboard for the show.


Brenda Buchanan said...

Your trip sounds terrific, Lesa. Thanks for sharing the details and photos.

Patricia T said...

Just seeing the Rockefeller Center tree would be a treat for me!

Lesa said...

It was terrific, Brenda. And, by sharing, I get to relive it.

Lesa said...

It wasn't even my favorite tree, Patricia. That was the Nativity tree at the Metropolitan Museum.

HollyJacobs said...

Lesa, I'm so glad you're having a good time! We saw Gentleman's Guide in November and so loved it!


Lesa said...

It was a wonderful week in NY, Holly. And, Gentleman's Guide was a special part of it.

Reine said...

Hi Lesa,

I love The Librarians billboard! I first learned about the show from you and heard that they were replaying the movies before the new series started. Steve and I watched the movies and have been watching the series. It's a lot of fun!

Rockefeller Center was always one of my favorite places to visit during Christmas vacation in high school. Don't know if parents still allow their kids to do this—some of us pretty young at 13—but we'd get a group together and go into the city for the day and have a great time hanging out, mostly . But sometimes we'd go to a show and always to the deli which was usually Katz's for pastrami on rye and a Coke.

I hope you're recovering from your cold and feeling better now. xo

Lesa said...

Recovering, Reine. I've been to the doctor, and I'm back to work. It sounds like you used to have wonderful trips to NYC. You're right. I don't know if kids still have that freedom. Haven't been to Katz's, but I have been to Junior's and to the Carnegie Deli.