Thursday, December 18, 2014

New York City - Dream Trip - Monday

The theaters are dark on Monday, but that doesn't mean we couldn't find shows to go to. We started our day at Radio City Music Hall to see the Radio City Christmas Spectacular, narrated by Santa, and featuring the Rockettes.

Before the program even started, Radio City Music Hall itself is spectacular with this enormous chandelier in the lobby. And, then, when you walk in, they have two organs playing, and the organs rise and descend through the floor. The curtain has snowflakes playing across it before the show starts.
Anna and me. I actually was dressed like every New Yorker, in a black puff coat and boots.



It was spectacular, and, if you get the chance you really should see the show once.

We caught the subway to Union Square and met an editor friend of Anna's, Jennifer, at a restaurant called Le Midi. And, then we headed to WNYC for a live radio broadcast of A Christmas Carol. I'd never been to a radio broadcast before, and to see one put on my NPR was special. The man who did the sound effects does them for Garrison Keiller's Lake Wobegon. Bill Kurtis was the narrator. Jefferson Mays from A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder played the ghosts. Mark Linn-Baker played Scrooge. John Hockenberry was in it. It was wonderful!

We had to grab a taxi in order to make it to the next event, a tour of Brooklyn with all the Christmas lights. It's actually Dyker Heights, which, this time of year, is called Dyker Lights. It was started by a woman named Lucy, who, when neighbors complained, answered by telling them if they didn't like it, "Move". The neighbors got into the spirit of things, as you can see. We ended the tour with cannoli and hot chocolate. I'm ending Monday with pictures from the light tour.


Lucy's house this year













10 comments:

Patricia T said...

Spectacular, indeed!

Lesa said...

Yes, Patricia, both Radio City, and the lights.

Kaye Barley said...

Less, I have been following you every step of the way, you trip was absolutely a deam trip, you lucky woman! I suggest we go together some day and you can show me around, and maybe we can toss in a Linda Fairstein/Coop tour. What say?

Kaye Barley said...

P.S. - I have been here every day reading. Please forgive me for not posting more. My laptop crashed, and while trying to get all that sorted, I'm having to rely on my iPad. Not the best way for my to carry on as usual . . . <3

Lesa said...

Kaye, I've been following your computer problems, so I know it's not easy. Thanks for following, even though you have to make an effort, and find time when hollering at computer people.

I'm afraid I could only show you around Broadway. I'm very good in that area! I do think we should go, and do a Linda Fairstein/Coop tour. That would be fun!

Donis Casey said...

Oh, how you make me long for Christmas time in New York. Your posts and pictures are almost as fun as being there. Except for not being able to see the shows. We miss you in AZ.

Lesa said...

Donis, I miss Arizona, the Poisoned Pen, and all of you as well!

Melissa Bo said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time! Thanks for sharing all of the wonderful photos!

Dru said...

thanks for sharing your NY adventure. I love seeing NY through other people's eyes

Lesa said...

I bet you see it totally differently, Dru.