Friday, September 26, 2014

Wouldn't It Be Deadly by D.E. Ireland

D.E. Ireland must have written the first Eliza Doolittle and Henry Higgins mystery just for me. I'm a big fan of My Fair Lady. Ireland brings all the charm, eccentricities, personalities and humor of that musical to this book. Wouldn't It Be Deadly is a fun follow-up to the movie. And, I'm sure readers will picture Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison searching London for a killer.

Wouldn't It Be Deadly picks up two months after Eliza moved out of Professor Higgins' house, moving in with his mother. To the professor's horror, Eliza is now working as a language teacher, employed by that phony, Higgins' rival Emil Nepommuck. And, everyone is London seems to know that the professor was angry at Nepommuck's claim to have taught Eliza. In fact, the day after Nepommuck's wealthy patron announced her engagement to him, Professor Higgins revealed the truth about him in the newspaper. When Eliza finds her employer dead, stabbed just as Higgins had threatened, Henry Higgins moves to the top of the suspect list.

There may have been a number of people to want Emil Nepommuck dead, but only one person had broadcasted his scorn and dislike of the man, Professor Henry Higgins. And, the professor refuses to provide any alibi, other than he was wandering around London all day, listening to people talk. He may not have been guilty of the second murder, but that killer even thanks the professor for killing Nepommuck. Despite the professor's reluctance, Eliza drags him into the search for the real killer. He might not do much to get himself out of trouble, but Eliza Doolittle knows Professor Henry Higgins is not a killer.

Do you want to know what happened to Eliza Doolittle, Professor Henry Higgins, Freddy, Colonel Pickering? D.E. Ireland brings them all back to life in this captivating mystery. It's "so loverly sittin' abso-bloomin'-lutely still" reading Wouldn't It Be Deadly.

D.E. Ireland's website is

Wouldn't It Be Deadly by D.E. Ireland. Minotaur Books. 2014. ISBN 9781250049353 (hardcover), 336p.

FTC Full Disclosure - The publisher sent a copy of the book, hoping I would review it.


Mark Baker said...

I must admit I've been interested in this one. However, I much prefer the ending in Pygmalion than in My Fair Lady. I don't like Higgins as presented in the plays. I mean, he's a fun character, but Eliza deserves better.

Anyway, you have intrigued me. I may break down and get it, although where I will fit it into my TBR pile, I have no idea.

Lesa said...

Ah,TBR piles. I'm talking about those enormous piles on Sunday, Mark. I hope you tell us what's in yours!

She does deserve better, Mark. And, it's fun to see what Ireland does with Eliza in this book. I hope you get a chance to read it sooner or later.

D.E. Ireland said...

Thank you so much for your kind words! We're so glad you enjoyed the book. As for Eliza, we also believe she deserves better - wait and see.

D.E. Ireland