Saturday, September 27, 2014

The Christmas Cat by Melody Carlson

If it seems too early to be reviewing Christmas books, I agree. But, they're already being released, and this one was even in the library. But, I'd be perfectly happy to always read the Christmas books in the eighty degree weather we had this week. And, I'm always happy to read sweet books about cats. Melody Carlson's 2014 holiday book, The Christmas Cat, is sweet and hopeful, just what Christmas books are supposed to be.

At thirty-four, Garrison Brown is struggling. He's returned from nine years in Uganda, where he worked as a missionary, digging wells. He returned with malaria, few job prospects, and no place to live, except with a childhood friend. And, then he's knocked off his feet again when he learns his beloved grandmother died. She had raised him after his parents died when he was twelve, and he was the first to admit he was a troubled, angry young man. But, he feels guilty because he didn't visit much after he returned to the states. He was allergic to the cats she adopted after he left home.

When he meets with his grandmother's attorney, Garrison has two surprises. His grandmother left him her house, and her six cats. But, the cats came with stipulations. He's to find them good homes in the neighborhood, check on them, and, once he's sure the cats are happy, the people who gave them good homes will receive handsome checks. The first cat is easy, placed with Gram's good friend. And, then one breaks his heart when a beautiful young woman can't have him because she hasn't lived in the neighborhood long enough. Once Garrison meets Cara, he realizes he's lonelier than he thought. And, when he has to turn down her request for a cat, he might turn down a chance for happiness as well.

Every year I say the same thing. How much can you say about a Christmas story? They should be hopeful, poignant, sometimes sweet, with a satisfying ending. Melody Carlson's The Christmas Cat will satisfy every cat lover's demands for a satisfying holiday story.

Melody Carlson's website is

The Christmas Cat by Melody Carlson. Revell. 2014. ISBN 9780800719661 (hardcover), 169p.

FTC Full Disclosure - Library book


Mason Canyon said...

I am so looking forward to reading this book and your review just re-enforced what I had imagined about it. Sounds like a perfect Christmas story to read and even give as a gift.

Melissa and Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

I picked this up last week and am saving it for my Christmas readathon :)

Cats and Christmas...what more do you need?

Patricia T said...

This is a must-have for me, too! I'd already seen the cover and loved it. After your review, who wouldn't want to read it? Thanks.

Nancy said...

I've put this book on my wish list. Thanks, Lesa.

Lesa said...

I hope all of you Christmas and cat fans enjoy the book! I told my Mom tonight that one of her friends who loves cats would enjoy this one.

Ingrid King said...

This is a definite addition to my Christmas reading list. Thanks for the review, Lesa!

Lesa said...

I can see why it's on your reading list, Ingrid (smile). I know you'll enjoy it.

lee woo said...

Integrity is the lifeblood of democracy. Deceit is a poison in its veins. See the link below for more info.


Cindy Dy said...

I read your blog.I thought it was great.. Hope you have a great day. God bless.