Thursday, September 04, 2014

Books and Bottles

Last night we kicked off a new book discussion group called Books and Bottles. We met at Winzerwald Winery Evansville Tasting Room because a friend had never been to a book discussion group, and we wanted to make it a non-threatening environment. So, we picked a theme. Any book by Lisa Scottoline, which gave us both her fiction and the collections of essays.

Although it was a small group, we had a great time. That means I didn't finish my book for today. But, I wanted to tell you about the evening. We did talk about Lisa Scottoline's books. But, we also talked about Susan Vreeland's books, Clara and Mr. Tiffany, and Luncheon of the Boating Party. And, we talked about Seabiscuit and Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. And, we talked about all of that with Ray, the manager of the tasting room. Of course, we also bought the sampler, tastes of six wines, and Ray explained what they were. Cheese, crackers, wine, and book discussion. Fun evening. (And, if my sister wants to try German wines when she comes in November, we'll head over there on Saturday.)



We're going back next month. The topic? Banned books.

6 comments:

Linda C said...

Darn, I wish there was a book club like that in Columbus! Of course I will go there with you the next time I'm in Evansville!

Lesa said...

I think you'll enjoy it, Linda! It was quite a mixture of conversation last night.

Beth Hoffman said...

It sounds like a fun evening at the perfect place. Wish I could be there for the upcoming discussion of banned books!

Lesa said...

I wish you could, too, Beth. I think that's going to be a fun one!

Bonnie K. said...

I wouldn't mind a book club like this. Sounds fun.

Lesa said...

It was a fun evening, Bonnie. I hope it's just as much fun next month.