Saturday, August 30, 2014

Some Favorite Blogs

Time was at a premium all this week, so I didn't get the reading done that I usually do. So, I thought I'd do something a little different with the small amount of time I have when I'm writing this late in the evening. I'm going to share the blog links for five of my favorite people who tend to write predominantly about crime fiction. There are lots of us out there who love crime fiction, and love to talk about it. And, I adore the Jungle Red Writers site, probably my favorite out there. But, today I'm going to talk about blogs written by individuals. I regularly check out these five blogs.

Let's start with Jen Forbus. I think Jen and I have been corresponding the longest, and we're both from northern Ohio. Jen writes Jen's Book Thoughts where she reviews crime fiction, interviews authors, and introduces readers to authors we might not have discovered. Jen's the one who first introduced me to Craig Johnson's Longmire books. And, over time, she has had some original ideas as to blog features. I love her Five on Friday feature where she asks an author five questions.

Wish me luck on this one. While I was writing this post, Meanderings and Muses wouldn't load for some reason. Kaye Wilkinson Barley writes this blog, a friend I've never met, but I love. She and I are rooming together for Bouchercon in 2015, though. Kaye writes some reviews, some comments about life, and she's funny, thoughtful, witty, and sometimes angry. I love her. And, if you've ever read Kaye's blog, you've "met" her adorable Corgi, Harley Barley. This year, Harley teamed up with Kaye for the book,
My Name is Harley and This is My Story. Kaye is also the author of Whimsey, a novel of magical realism. (And, if I really love a book, I could almost bet money that Kaye will too.)

My best friend from Arizona, Chantelle Aimee Osman, writes The Sirens of Suspense. It's "An Anthony Award-nominated website on all things mystery". Chantelle features blogs, reviews, interviews and giveaways on her site. She spotlights authors who often are new to me.

Kevin's Corner is by friend and reviewer Kevin Tipple. Kevin features book reviews, links to some other terrific blogs, giveaways, and sometimes roundups of other crime fiction news, as well as guest posts.

And, then there's Mystery Fanfare, written by the seemingly indefatigable Janet Rudolph. No one has the news in the mystery field any sooner than Janet. She also writes the Dying for Chocolate blog. She's the editor of Mystery Readers Journal, and director of Mystery Readers International. She is the writer/producer for Murder on the Menu. Janet covers everything mystery on her site; news, events, books, mystery cartoons. I'm in awe of Janet and her work.

Every one of us puts a little different slant on our blogs. I probably spotlight cozy and traditional mysteries more than the others do. And, I review a little of everything, with a focus on mysteries. If you're a mystery lover, you might want to check out these other five blogs.









14 comments:

Kaye Barley said...

What a sweetheart you are, Lesa Holstine.

Thank you.

What an honor to be among your top five - it's a very cool group to be included in, I must say.

Isn't it funny how these same blogs are some of my favorites also? Imagine that. We learned a long time ago that we seem to be drawn to and enjoy many of the same things in the world of books, didn't we.

Have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend, my friend!

xxoo

Lesa said...

I did mean to say that we're twins from different parents, but I let it go, Kaye.

Thank you! I intend to enjoy the weekend, although I'm at work right now finishing a project before I leave town.

Up next for me - Dennis Lehane's The Drop.

I've been reading your blog, and checking in on it for a long time, so it's definitely in my top five.

Hugs, Kaye!

Kevin R. Tipple said...

I'm stunned and very honored. Thank you.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Kevin.

Terry W. Ervin II said...

I'm a regular reader of Kevin's Corner. Most of his review input is on target, at least for me.

Lesa said...

Thanks for commenting, Terry. Maybe Kevin won't be so shocked now.

Janet Rudolph said...

Thanks so much for including me in such a great group of my favorite, too, mystery bloggers. You're awesome, and your blog is the best!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Janet, for everything you do for the mystery world.

Hank Phillippi Ryan said...

Well, wow! Thank you! (We at Jungle Red love you, too!)

And my, what lovely company. Isn't the internet amazing? xoo

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Thank you, Terry.

Still stunned. Heck of a group to be included in. I also promise to continue to represent my gender as the only male selected to the best of my ability.

Lesa said...

Hugs, back, Hank, to a terrific group of writers!

Lesa said...

I don't know that I said these were the "best" mystery blogs, just my favorites. (smile) Thank you, Kevin, for representing your gender, although I never even thought of it that way.

Jen Forbus said...

Awwww, thank you, Lesa! I'm so blessed to be able to consider you my friend--and it all started here. This list of blogs is top-notch for sure. I am honored, indeed. :-)

Lesa said...

It did start here, Jen, although I forget that because your blog has been so original and successful. Thanks for sharing your passion for crime fiction.