Saturday, August 23, 2014

Paw and Order by Spencer Quinn

I just love Chet, the dog in the Chet and Bernie mysteries by Spencer Quinn. And, in the course of
the series, I've grown to respect Bernie Little, the owner of the Little Detective Agency. But, the last two books have taken place away from home, Arizona. And, with the latest one, Paw and Order, I may be giving up. "Every dog has its day", and maybe Chet's is over for me.

After finishing up a case in Louisiana, Bernie and Chet decide to take a detour to Washington, D.C. where Bernie's journalist girlfriend, Suzie Sanchez, is now working for the Washington Post. But, when Bernie meets one of Suzie's sources, and the man ends up dead, Bernie is arrested for murder. While Bernie's gone, Chet meets an unusual man with a great deal of power, enough to get Bernie released. Once he's released, though, instead of going home, Bernie and Chet are on the case, looking for a murderer.

Chet's out of his element in D.C., without his friends and familiar territory. And, the entire story seemed off, with sources and mysterious men who were unexplained until the end of the book, a few who remained unexplained, and an odd cast of characters, from a Presidential candidate to the mysterious woman next door. The funniest element was the odd bird that only Chet saw for most of the book. But, the overall plot seemed weak, and I'm not sure I completely understood what had happened and who was involved by the time I finished the book.

Perhaps I should have known the book was dragging when it took me four days to get through a three hundred page book. This time, even Chet couldn't save Paw and Order for me.

Spencer Quinn's website is ChetTheDog.com.

Paw and Order by Spencer Quinn. Atria. 2014. ISBN 9781476703398 (hardcover), 304p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - Library book

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I hate when that happens - a series losing its appeal.

Lesa said...

You're right, Nancy. That's exactly what happens. You hit it. I'm not as interested in picking up the next book.

Margie Bunting said...

Oh, no! I love these books. Hopefully this is just a temporary aberration and Bernie and Chet will be back to normal next time around.

Lesa said...

Margie, Just because that was my opinion doesn't mean it will be yours. After you read it, let me know what you thought.