Friday, June 06, 2014

Friday Reads

On Friday on Twitter, you can use #FridayReads to tell everyone what you're reading. I love to
check to see what others are reading. I'm reading Deborah Coates' latest horror/paranormal book, Strange Country. I've read her previous books featuring Hallie Michaels, an Afghanistan vet who returned home to an isolated community in western South Dakota. Wide Open and Deep Down were both eerie books. Maybe it's the atmosphere, the windy, empty plains that make these books slightly creepy. As the series develops, there are ghosts, reapers, black dogs, and Death, with people, including Hallie, who can see all of them. Coates has a compelling writing style that sucks me in.

So, what are you reading today? What atmosphere is catching your attention?

13 comments:

SandyG265 said...

I'm reading a non-fiction book. Floods of Northern NJ

Mason Canyon said...

I'm listening to James Patterson's Unlucky 13.

Janet C said...

I'm reading Bone Dust White by Karen Salvalaggio. It's very good so far.

Lesa said...

It's always interesting to see what a mixed bag of books we're reading - floods, and James Patterson.

James Montgomery Jackson said...

I'm in the middle of Blood, Ash & Bone by Tina Whittle a fellow founder of the Low Country Chapter of Sisters in Crime.

~ Jim

Lesa said...

Good to know, Janet. I have Bone Dust White sitting on a table at home, waiting for me to get to it.

Lesa said...

I know Tina Whittle! I've only read her first book. Liked it, but just haven't found time to get back to the next one.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading Echo Park by my favourite author, Michael Connelly.

Vivian

Page said...

I'm reading The Same Sweet Girl's Guide to Life by Cassandra King
The House on Mermaid Point by Wendy Wax
Einstein's God by Krista Tippett

Lesa said...

Vivian & Page, Thanks for sharing what you're reading! I hope you're enjoying The House on Mermaid Point, Page, since it's on one of my piles of books.

Carol N Wong said...

Been having trouble with my e-mails so I missed a lot of yours!

I just finished 'The Auschwitz Escape" by Joel C. Rosenberg and am starting 'Saffron Dreams' by Shalia Abullah and 'Dry Bones in the Valley by Tom Bouman.

Judy Stewart said...

The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Very good book.

Melissa @ My Recent Favorite Books said...

I'm reading "Thread End" by Amanda Lee, a wonderful cozy mystery! =)