Sunday, May 04, 2014

What Are You Reading?

It's a lazy Sunday here. I love the days when I can just cuddle with cats and enjoy books. What about you? What are you reading this weekend?  I have a whole pile of books beside me, but I'm focused on three right now.

I'm finishing up Ann Cleeves' Dead Water. I really haven't had the time to give it the attention it deserves until now. I've always liked her Inspector Jimmy Perez. While he's in mourning, he's joined in this investigation in the Shetland Islands by Detective Inspector Willow Reeves. More in the next couple days.






My book club is reading a book I'm finding fascinating, Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan. I've said before, it's one reason to be in a book club, to read books I wouldn't normally select. It's due back at the library on Monday, and others are waiting, so I have to finish it today.







I'm also reading Kristin Kimball's The Dirty Life: A Memoir of Farming, Food, and Love. This is the first of four books we're featuring this summer at the library as part of our Summer Reading Program. And, our Central Library is planning a terrific program of music, sustainable living booths, and farm animals, for four hours on a Sunday in June to celebrate this book. I have to say, since I lived on a farm until I was five, and my grandfather farmed, it always surprises me when I hear that people are bringing their children so they can see a cow. Some city children have never seen a cow. I'm enjoying the book, and can't wait to attend the program on June 8th.

So, what are you reading this weekend? Is it for fun, or a combination of reasons? And, are you a multiple book at one time reader, as I am?

15 comments:

Rosemary said...

Hi Lesa - long time, no comments, sorry! I'm reading Winter Under Water, which I promised to review for the lovely Trip Fiction site, but I must say I am struggling with it - far too many self-conscious metaphors for me. Before that I read Alexander McCall Smith's Teatime for the Traditionally Built, which was a good easy read.

I haven't read any of Ann Cleeves' books,but Madeleine and I love watching Vera on TV - there was an excellent episode last week which we just caught up with last night. Brenda Blethlyn can't put a foot wrong with us, she's such a brilliant actress.

Enjoy your weekend,

Rosemary

SandyG265 said...

I'm reading Aunt Dimity and the Wishing Well. I'm having touble getting to read it because we've been catching up on yardwork this weekend.

I don't usually read more than one book at once unless one is a book of short stories.

Nancy said...

There are times when I have two or three books going, for different moods. I've just read The Cats that Surfed the Web and The Cats that Chased the Storm, both e-books by Karen Anne Golden. I loved the cat talk. These are cat lovers books , though they are mysteries.

Lesa said...

Rosemary, Don't you hate it when you're committed to reading and reviewing a book, and it doesn't measure up? That happened to me with the Fern Michaels book. Just wasn't that great.

Lesa said...

Sandy & Nancy,

Thank you! I just love to see what others are reading.

TFJ said...

I'm about to start The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin.

~Tricia

Rosemary said...

Oh lots of people on our book group site have said that AJ Firky book is great.

Mrs. Mac said...

I'm a quarter of the way through The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. I loved it from the beginning, was bored shortly after, and then the story picked back up and I'm hooked. Hope you enjoy it, Tricia.

Lesa said...

AJ Fikry is wonderful! I'm so glad others are reading and enjoying it. Have fun with that book!

Margie Bunting said...

Last night I finished Gemini by Carol Cassella. It started a little slowly for me, but I became more and more wrapped up in it. The story is complex and goes back and forth in time, but it is well worth the extra focus required. I just started Kilmoon by Lisa Alber, the first author Mike and I met (in the elevator) at Left Coast Crime. I can already tell it's going to be engrossing. I CANNOT read 2 books at a time, unfortunately.

Lesa said...

Margie, I have a really odd way of reading multiple books. I read a whole stack of them, alternating chapters in each. Then, if one REALLY catches my attention, I'll drop everything else and finish that. I did finish all three of my weekend books, though, by Sunday night.

Kaye Barley said...

Loved the A.J. Fikry book! I'm now reading Barbara Ross' Clammed Up.

Lesa said...

A.J. Fikry was wonderful. I'm currently reading the new Linda Rodriguez - Every Hidden Fear, as well as the first Julia Dahl, Invisible City. But, Linda's book is the one I'm carrying with me.

Mark Baker said...

I should be finishing up Death Runs Adrift by Karen McInerney today. I really like this series, and the book is for a blog tour on Thursday, so it's a win/win for me.

Glen Davis said...

I'm currently reading The Corsican Caper, a (so far) light hearted suspense/mystery book by Peter Mayle.