Saturday, May 03, 2014

Ghost Seer by Robin D. Owens

The library classified Robin D. Owens' Ghost Seer as a romance. And, I'm not crazy about the cover of the book. I know the author is a RITA Award -winning author, so I'm sure she doesn't need my review. But, I think our classification and the cover will cause the book to miss an audience. I loved the book, but I'd call it urban fantasy with sex. I'd recommend it to fans of Kat Richardson's Greywalker series. Even the readers of Paige Shelton's Country Cooking School mysteries and Alice Kimberly's Haunted Bookshop series who long for relationships with the hot ghost might appreciate this book.

Clare Cermak inherits more than a fortune from her eccentric Aunt Sandra. When her aunt died, the by-the-book accountant inherited "a gift", the ability to communicate with ghosts, and a ghostly dog, Enzo. Enzo knows the rules, and Clare has to get over her disbelief or she'll die. She has to use her gift to help ghosts transition to the next world. She's convinced she's either crazy or has a disease, and she doesn't want to admit she sees the ghost of Jack Slade, a legendary bad guy who had been involved with the Pony Express. It seems Clare is sensitive to ghosts of the Old West, about 1850 to 1900.

Zack Slade's career as a cop is over. The Montana deputy sheriff was injured on the job. He knows he'll never work again in his field, and he's angry. Originally from Colorado, he ends up back in Denver with a job offer from Tony Rickman of Rickman Security and Investigations. He just never saw himself as a private eye. But, he can see himself teamed up with the gorgeous woman he sees at the restaurant when he mistakenly thinks she says "Zack" instead of "Jack".

Robin D. Owens brings together two damaged people, struggling to make sense of their new lives, in a hot relationship. At the same time, they're both struggling with the knowledge they have "the sight". It takes an understanding wealthy woman to push Zach in that direction, and Enzo to convince Clare. Enzo tells her "If you don't accept our gift that you can see ghosts then you will die. And if you accept that you can see them but don't help them, you can go crazy."

Ghost Seer is a terrific first book in a new series. Owens mixes legends of the Old West, ghosts, mystery, sexual attraction, and intriguing characters. I can't wait for the next in the series, Ghost Layer.

Robin D. Owens' is at www.robindowens.blogspot.com

Ghost Seer by Robin D. Owens. Berkley Sensation. 2014. ISBN 9780425268902 (paperback), 312p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - Library book

6 comments:

Libby Dodd said...

Isn't it a shame that book classifications can be so limiting? There are wonderful books out there that people miss because they are labeled "YA" or "romance" or whatever.
Wish there were a better solution.

Susan said...

I've added this to my birthday wish list for later this month! I really enjoy the Kat Richardson series, so this one appeals to me also. Thanks so much, for I hadn't seen it here yet.

Lesa said...

It is, Libby. I only stumbled across it because it received a starred review in Library Journal. I do read some romances, but I'm a bigger fan of urban fantasy. This book should be receiving wider attention.

Lesa said...

Susan, If you get it, and read it, you'll have to let me know what you think.

Anonymous said...

Just finished this book over the weekend and agree that it was very good. And I agree that the cover is unfortunate!

Lesa said...

Glad you agree with me that the book was good. Sorry we both think the cover doesn't fit.