Saturday, May 03, 2014

Agatha Award Winners

The Agatha Awards were presented tonight at Malice Domestic. Congratulations to all the winners!

And, a big hug along with those congratulations to Chris Grabenstein, winner of the Agatha for Best Children's/YA mystery for Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (Random House Books).

Best Short Story went to "The Care and Feeding of House Plants" by Art Taylor (Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine).

Best Nonfiction went to The Hour of Peril: The Secret Plot to Murder Lincoln Before the Civil War by Daniel Stashower (Minotaur Books). Good weekend for that book, and Edgar and an Agatha!

Best First Novel went to Death Al Dente by Leslie Budewitz (Berkley Prime Crime).

Best Historical Novel went to A Question of Honor by Charles Todd (William Morrow).

And, another big hug to one of the nicest people out there, Hank Phillippi Ryan, winner of the Agatha Award for Best Contemporary Novel for The Wrong Girl (Forge Books). This was a tough category for me. Glad I didn't vote. Too many friends in this one!

Congratulations to all the winners and nominees! And, thank you to Julia Spencer-Fleming who tweeted from the banquet.


Mark Baker said...

I'm very pleasantly surprised to see someone other than Louis Penny win. Hank's book was great.

A few of the authors I was rooting for didn't win, but it looks like a great group of winners again this year.

Lesa said...

I like the Agathas, Mark. At least I've read a lot of these books, most of the ones up for Best Contemporary. I'll admit, with the Edgars, I usually haven't read the books, and sometimes I've never even heard of them before the nomination.

Mark Baker said...

I'm the exactly same way. I pay attention to the Agathas and don't pay much attention at all to the Edgars.

Leslie Budewitz said...

Thank you, Lesa! What a great party it was -- I'm so thrilled to be part of such a terrific group of nominees and winners!