Sunday, March 16, 2014

Public Library Association (PLA) Conference

The Public Library Association holds a conference every other year. This year, it was in Indianapolis, so we were able to send a number of staff members. Good programs, and, for me, the chance to hear some authors, and catch up with old friends.

The exhibits featured all kinds of vendors who deal with libraries, but, I spent some time meeting up with my friend, Talia Sherer from Macmillan. I saw Virginia Stanley from Random House and Dominique Jenkins from Penguin. And, of course, old and new friends from Sisters in Crime. That led to a fun dinner in the bar at the Hyatt one night with Hank Phillippi Ryan and fellow librarians who are involved with SinC.

I was too far back to get pictures of Jane Pauley when she talked about her latest book, Your Life Calling: Reimagining the Rest of Your Life. But, thanks to Talia Sherer, I had a seat at a front table for the Audio Books dinner. Of course, that meant I was at an angle for the photos of Mary Kay Andrews, Andre Dubus III, and Rainbow Rowell. That was a fun evening. All of the authors poked fun at themselves. And, for your Mary Kay Andrews fans out there, her new book, Save the Date, is due out June 3.






Mary Kay Andrews

Andre Dubus III

Rainbow Rowell

Friday's lunch meant hearing Craig Johnson and Lisa Unger interviewed. I always enjoy hearing Craig. The author of the "Longmire" books is the best storyteller I've ever heard.

I had to run without getting books signed because I was on a panel right after lunch, but I did have time for a hug and greeting from Craig.

I was on a fun panel, "Doing Time with Sisters in Crime." Mary Boone organized it. Author Laura DiSilverio was the best moderator. She made it easy for us, and fun for the audience, as she played "Let's Make a Deal", asking them for items relating to mysteries. One audience member actually had duct tape and a scissors! Laura said she wouldn't ask. The rest of the panel consisted of authors Catriona McPherson and Frankie Bailey, along with one of my idols, the amazing librarian and author Joyce Saricks.

With Joyce Saricks


It was great to see my friend Stacy Alesi (BookBitch), first at her program, Cooking the Books, and then in the audience for our program. Stacy took that picture of me with Joyce Saricks.

The conference ended on a high note. David Sedaris read to a packed house, so we ended with a great deal of laughter.

I arrived home late Saturday afternoon. Back to work on Monday, but then I head to Monterey for Left Coast Crime. Hopefully, lots of pictures of authors. (Hopefully, I'll know how to download from my new camera by then so the pictures will be better.)

13 comments:

Joe Barone said...

Aren't new cameras fun? Always a learning experience.

Mark Baker said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Enjoy LCC for me, too.

Angela said...

Rainbow Rowell used to be a columnist for the Omaha World-Herald. I enjoyed her columns, her books not so much. Nice to see she is getting some recognition for her work, though.

Lesa said...

I so loved my other camera, Joe, but it actually wore out, and started to fall apart. (sniff) Quite a learning experience!

Lesa said...

Sorry you won't be there, Mark. I would have liked to have met you.

Lesa said...

I haven't read her books yet, Angela, but she was a funny speaker.

holdenj said...

I saw Craig Johnson at a book signing last summer in IL, and he is a great storyteller!

Lesa said...

He commented on my Facebook page, Holdenj, saying that guy is overrated. I don't think so.

Laura DiSilverio said...

PLA was such a wonderful convention. Thanks for your kind words about my moderating, Lesa, and thanks for gifting us with your presence, inspirations and insight on the panel. Good luck moderating at LCC--you'll do great!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Laura. I really enjoyed the opportunity to be on that panel. It was so much fun. Thank you, again!

Cathy Ace said...

It sounds as though you had a super time. I hope we manage to meet up at Left Coast Crime, so I can thank you in person for your enjoyable blog postings! I'll also be at the ALA conference at Las Vegas. Will you be there too? I'm hoping I have ARCs for Cait Morgan's fourth mystery there - which will be a great place to pre-launch because that book is set in...yes, Vegas!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Cathy. I hope we do meet up at LCC since I'm not going to ALA. We're only sending one person from our staff, and she's going because she's on a committee. Looking forward to meeting you!

Karen C said...

So glad you are having a wonderful time and able to catch up with friends!