It was hard to resist Richard Smith and Maureen McElheron's book, There Is a God!, particularly
because of the subtitle "1,001 Heartwarming (and Hilarious) Reasons to Believe". Actually, some are heartwarming, some funny, and some a little naughty. It's a fun little book, and some of the comments actually do make you think.
There Is a God! is a actually a list of 1,001 comments. So, what are the special moments that prove God's existence? They'll be different for each reader. Here are the ones that stood out for me.
48. Fireflies on a June night
88. According to the body mass index (BMI) chart, you're too short for your weight.
184. The aroma when you open a new box of Crayolas
280. Hearing kitty purr is a can't fail sleep aide
282. John Philip Sousa's "The Stars and Stripes Forever"
579. A root beer float on a sweltering day served in a frosty mug
742. Needing both hands to count your blessings
And, there are forty-six comments called miracles in the book, items that are highlighted. My favorite is Miracle #40 - You were smart enough to choose the right parents.
It almost sounds like a meme on Facebook, doesn't it? There is a God! is a charming little book. You can zip through it, or you can pick it up, and think about the little miracles of life. I know the person who will enjoy this, and I'll be giving my copy as a gift. I think you'll want to read it first, though, to identify some of the little things in life that you never thought of as miracles.
There Is a God!: 1,001 Heartwarming (and Hilarious) Reasons to Believe by Richard Smith and Maureen McElheron. Penguin Group (USA). 2013. ISBN 9780399167805 (paperback), 185p.
FTC Full Disclosure - The publisher sent me a copy of the book, hoping I would review it.