Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Book Loft in Columbus, OH

Danger! Danger! If you love independent bookstores, The Book Loft in Columbus, Ohio is a dangerous place It's thirty-two rooms of bargain books in a collection of brick buildings in historic German Village, and it's easy to lose hours there. My Mom, my sister, Linda, and I spent some delightful time there on "Black Friday" instead of going shopping at any mall. Instead, we wandered through a store filled with books, calendars, funny cards, and an amazing stock of jigsaw puzzles. Each room is dedicated to a subject or genre with appropriate music playing in that room. All three of us bought books. And, it's so easy to get caught up in the books that I picked up one while I was standing on the stairway waiting for other people to come down it.


The Book Loft windows were decorated beautifully for the holidays. But, no matter what time of year, if you're in German Village in Columbus, and you love books and bookstores, The Book Loft is a must stop.

Mom and Linda at The Book Loft

 

Oh, and one of the books I bought? My Bookstore: Writers Celebrate Their Favorite Paces to Browse, Read, and Shop. That's the one I picked up while I was standing on the stairs. It's filled with writers' stories about the independent bookstores they love, and The Book Loft is in it. Jeff Smith, author and artist of Bone picked it.

The Book Loft's website is www.bookloft.com

10 comments:

Beth Hoffman said...

Wow, what an amazing bookstore! I love that they play music to enhance the genre offered on the shelves in each room.

Lesa said...

And, then, Beth, they have signs saying what cd they're playing, with the cds for sale. Johnny Cash in the country room!

Libby Dodd said...

I would love to experience that store!
My favorite book store is Books of Wonder in NYC. The owner (Peter Glassman)LOVES what he does and his staff is chosen and trained accordingly. I've heard people say, "My nephew likes ____ books and he last read ___. Can you suggest what I might buy for him as a gift?" And whoever is helping can immediately suggest and take them to several wonderful choices. Because they know and love books.

Lesa said...

Libby, That's what I'd like to do if I ever retire - be that good at suggesting books.

Nancy said...

I imagine that you are that good now!

Sue Farrell said...

If I lived anywhere near there I'd spend my weekends just wandering through that store. Good bookstores are so hard to find.

Carol N Wong said...

It looks so inviting. I love the way it is decorated. It reminds me of a beautiful little bookshop on Nantucket Island. Would have loved to spend a whole day there.

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa @ My Recent Favorite Books said...

I made a mistake on my earlier post..( sorry about that! )

This library looks inviting!
Love the idea of the music in the rooms!

Lesa said...

The Book Loft is just a charming place. And, it was really busy, which I was happy to see. People browsing and buying books!