Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Throw the Damn Ball by Rosen, Prichett, and Battles

If you've ever seen the hilarious books Bad Cat and Bad Dog, you'll know what to expect from R.D. Rosen, Harry Prichett, and Rob Battles. Now, with a little inspiration from poets such as Emily Dickinson, Dylan Thomas, and Robert Frost, the trio gives us an unusual anthology.Throw the Damn Ball: Classic Poetry by Dogs allows family pets to reflect on dog issues such as mealtime, playing fetch, and the death of dogs they don't like. And, for some reason, the adolescent humor seems appropriate for dogs.

This gift book is definitely for the dog lover in your life who appreciates a little raw, dog humor. But, it won't hurt if the reader has a knowledge of classic poetry to truly appreciate the wit. (I'm afraid my knowledge isn't as broad as it should be. I recognized some of the poems, and missed others.) Each dog has a moment to shine, with an odd photo, their name, and their hometown.

I'd love to share all the pictures and poems, but I can't. So, here's just one, with a poem most of us will recognize. Jet, from Nashville, Tennessee, has a poem called "Island".

"No dog is an island.
Every dog's death diminishes me.
Except perhaps for Stanley,
The Hoffendahls' mean Akita.
I'm better off with him dead."

If you catch the humor in titles such as "Do Not Go Gentle", "To My Short-Legged Mistress", or "Whose Ball This Is I Think I Know", you might appreciate the verses.

Oh, one more. After all, the publisher sent me the book to review. You do want to know what the humor is like. So, here's my favorite, "Whose Ball This is I Think I Know" by Sprocket.

"Whose ball this is I think I know.
I make him throw and throw and throw.
Some will, no doubt, think him a fool
To play the role of dog-whipped wretch
And expose himself to so much drool
As he makes me fetch and fetch and fetch."

Gift for the dog lover with a wicked sense of humor? I've already sent my copy on to a friend.

Check out more at www.Facebook.com/Throwthedamnball

Throw the Damn Ball: Classic Poetry by Dogs by R.D. Rosen, Harry Prichett, and Rob Battles. Plume. 9780142180853 (hardcover), 117p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - The publishers sent me a copy of the book, hoping I would review it.



No comments: