Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Starry Night by Debbie Macomber

No one does feel good Christmas novels like Debbie Macomber. At the front of Starry Night is a letter to
her readers. She says, "Because of my love for the season, I've written a Christmas story each year simply because I couldn't allow the holidays to pass without putting my own unique stamp on them." This one isn't about her Christmas angels, or about Mrs. Miracle. It doesn't have that sense of humor. Instead, Starry Night is a Christmas romance, a happily-ever-after wish for the holidays.

Carrie Slayton is a successful writer for the Chicago Herald, but she feels trapped in the job, and the city. She wanted a meatier role as a journalist, covering real stories, not weddings and the society page. And, she misses her family in Seattle as holiday season approaches. However, when she begs her boss for a real assignment, he sends her on a quest. Come back from Alaska with an interview with reclusive author Finn Dalton, and she can call her shots at the newspaper. Carrie's determined to make that happen.

Finn Dalton's book, Alone, has been a bestseller for seven months, much of that in the number one position. However, there's no picture of him on his book jacket, and journalists have been unsuccessfully lobbying for an interview for all of those seven months. "Despite how it looked,Finn wasn't a recluse but simply a man who enjoyed his solitude. He wasn't about to disrupt his life and become a media darling."

It will take a determined reporter to break into Finn Dalton's life. But, Carrie Slayton is desperate, and she has a secret weapon. She talked to Finn's estranged mother. But, that may prove to be a hindrance rather than a help because Finn has bitter feelings toward the mother who deserted him.  It's going to take more than determination to reach Finn Dalton's heart. It's going to take a Starry Night in Alaska.

Debbie Macomber's latest Christmas novel is a small book with a romantic streak a mile wide. Don't look for great drama. Just look for two characters to root for, and a romantic setting under a starry sky. It's a perfect treat for the reader who loves the holiday magic of romance.

Debbie Macomber's website is www.debbiemacomber.com

Starry Night by Debbie Macomber. 2013. ISBN 9780345528896 (hardcover), 243p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - Library book

5 comments:

Melissa @ My Recent Favorite Books said...

I'm a huge Debbie Macomber fan, and I really enjoyed this book!

Wonderful review! =)

Karen C said...

I love Debbie's books and already have this one on my wish list. Thanks for your review.

Lesa said...

I enjoyed it, too, Melissa. I liked the characters. Karen, I think you're going to like it.

Ingrid King said...

I always enjoy Debbie Macomber's Christmas novels, and this one is going on my list for sure. Thanks for the review, Lesa!

Lesa said...

My pleasure, Ingrid. I like her Christmas novels, too.