Thursday, October 31, 2013

Christmas on 4th Street by Susan Mallery

Every time I pick up a Christmas book this year, I think, "It's too early!" However, it's never too early for a Susan Mallery book and a visit to Fool's Gold, California. Christmas on 4th Street can be read any time of year.

Noelle Perkins really did need a reason to start life over again. She spun around; put a pin in a map, and ended up in Fool's Gold, California where she opened a store, The Christmas Attic, over the Labor Day weekend. College students aren't the most reliable help in the world, though, but when she put up a "Help Wanted" sign, she didn't expect to end up with a gorgeous army trauma doctor, Gabriel Boylan, working for her.

Family holidays were not always easy for Gabriel. This would be the first one in years with his twin brother, Gideon, Gideon's fiancee, and their son. But, he'd also have to spend time with his father, the drill sergeant who never did understand Gabriel. Maybe, Gabriel could escape from the family by doing a mindless job at The Christmas Attic. At least he could escape from his emotions, his compassionate fatigue. He might not be able to escape his feelings for the store's owner, though.

Noelle was all set for a relationship, "Just what every woman needed for the holidays, she thought dreamily. A man crush." But, Gabriel doesn't believe in second chances. He's afraid of giving his heart, and losing someone he loves. This is Fool's Gold, California, though, where Mayor Marsha steps in when she sees a need. Fool's Gold could use a trauma doctor, and Noelle and Gabriel need someone to love them.

Christmas on 4th Street is a Christmas romance, and that means a happy ending. That's why Christmas books are a treat. If you're ready for happily-ever-after in a charming little town that knows how to celebrate holidays, friendship and love, pick up Susan Mallery's latest Fool's Gold novel.

Since my sister, Christie, finished the book before my review appeared, I'm adding her comments here. " Here's my final summary of Christmas on 4th Street.  I reserved it because it was a Christmas book and the holidays were really only part of the story. As someone who likes to read a series in order, it worked okay as a stand alone and now I want to go back and see what I missed, but it will be like reading the last chapter first, and I was never one to do that.  I don't want to know how it ends until the end.  I like the character of Nichole.  Her attitude was great. Susan Mallory really seemed to have a sense of what it is like in the army and I appreciated the reflections that he (Gabriel)  didn't get to see the outcomes of his patients."

Thanks, Christie!

Susan Mallery's website is www.susanmallery.com

Christmas on 4th Street by Susan Mallery. Harlequin. 2013. ISBN 9780373777822 (hardcover), 329p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - Library book



4 comments:

Melissa @ My Recent Favorite Books said...

Sounds like a great book!
I love Christmas stories!

Karen C said...

I've been working on getting all of the books in the Fool's Gold series and this sounds like a nice addition.

I love Christmas stories and have been reading a couple already - the comfort read we spoke about before!

Lesa said...

It is a good book, Melissa. I love Christmas stories, too.

Lesa said...

Karen,

I think I had only read last year's Fool's Gold Christmas story, but I liked this one enough that I already checked out the very first in the series to try it, too. Comfort reads!