Wednesday, October 09, 2013

A Seaside Christmas by Sherryl Woods

A little early for Christmas books, isn't it? But, I polled family and friends, and they all agreed that the books
have been released, and they're in the library, so I might as well review them. I really did want to at least wait until after Halloween, but the publishers don't see it the same way I do. They're rushing the season.

However, they can rush the season as much as they want as long as it means a new Chesapeake Shores novel from Sherryl Woods. A Seaside Christmas is a comfort read, no matter what time of year you read it. It's a charming romance featuring the ebullient O'Brien clan, residents of Chesapeake Shores, Maryland. There's never any doubt after the first chapter how the book will end, but that's the comfort factor in this series. Family, home, love, and, in this case, Christmas. Does it get any better for a romance?

It was always Jenny Collins and her mother against the world, until Jenny's mother fell in love with an O'Brien, married him, and had a baby when Jenny was in college. She felt betrayed, and she never returned home after she moved to Nashville and became a successful songwriter. She even manged to get through a second betrayal when country superstar Caleb Green publicly cheated on her. But, she doesn't want to face another lonely Christmas in Nashville, so returns to Chesapeake Shores to write a few songs for her best friend's Christmas play. And, maybe she'll find a way to move past her feelings about her mother, stepfather, and her new brother.

But, Caleb Green wants to put the past behind them, and he follows Jenny to Chesapeake Shores to try to win her back. The break-up made Caleb a pariah in Nashville, and he really has changed. Now, he just has to prove that to Jenny, who has always been stubborn. And, if Jenny's friend, Bree, can get Caleb to sing a few songs in her Christmas play, the play will draw more attention, and Jenny will be thrown together with Caleb. Bree sees it as a win-win. Jenny might not feel the same way. But, miracles happen at Christmas. And, "The O'Briens' specialize in Christmas miracles."

It's a pleasure to return to Chesapeake Shores, and the wonderful O'Brien family with their arguments, their dinners, and their love for each other.  Jenny actually summarizes another appeal of this romance. It's for all of us "highly susceptible to roguish charm". A Seaside Christmas is for all of us who love happy endings. And, shouldn't all Christmas novels have happy endings?

Sherryl Woods' website is www.SherrylWoods.com

A Seaside Christmas by Sherryl Woods. Harlequin MIRA. 2013. ISBN 9780778315117 (hardcover), 280p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - Library book




9 comments:

Karen C said...

A comfort read. I guess that's why I will read Christmas themed books all year round - I'm looking for some comfort, perhaps not even realizing that's why I start reading one. I do love the Chesapeake Shores series, too.

Lesa said...

Sometimes, Karen, I just need a comfort read, too. I can understand why you read Christmas themed books for comfort. So many of them are perfect for that.

Reine said...

I could use a little Seaside Comfort, too. I'm glad you reviewed it early, because I like to plan my Christmas gifts far ahead for my book reading friends.

Reine said...

mmm... Seaside Christmas comfort.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Reine. It's nice to know readers don't mind such early reviews of Christmas books. I'm happy to help with your planning!

Melissa @ My Recent Favorite Books said...

I enjoyed your review. =)

I read this book and really liked it!
Christmas books always get me in the spirit of the Season!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Melissa! It's great to know you liked the review since you've already read the book. Thank you!

Ingrid King said...

I can't wait to read this one - I love this series.

Lesa said...

I love this series, too, Ingrid, and was so pleased to see the original announcement. I know the last book really was planned to be the last one. I hope she continues to find ways to talk about the family.