Thursday, September 19, 2013

Murder of a Stacked Librarian by Denise Swanson

Romance, a winter wedding, Christmas celebrations with the family. If it all sounds like a holiday romance,
guess again. Not only does Denise Swanson pull off all the romantic elements in her latest book, she manages to pull off murder as well. I hope Murder of a Stacked Librarian hasn't landed on the New York Times Best Seller list because of the victim. No, can't be. I'm sure it's because mystery and romance are combined in Swanson's new Scumble River mystery.

School psychologist Skye Denison knew she could only get away for a honeymoon in the summer or at Christmas. The whole time she's hiding out in the library, Skye thinks she might have made a mistake picking Christmas. But, then, she wouldn't have been there when Yvonne Osborne was fending off the gym owner who was a little too pushy when he wanted her to go out with him. She might not have known about his threat when Yvonne's car goes over a bridge on Christmas Eve. Unfortunately, it isn't long before Skye and her fiancé, Police Chief Wally Boyd, realize there are a few people who weren't happy with the hot librarian. And, "The only thing worse than nobody having a motive is when everybody has one."

Well, I don't know. Right now, with her emotional pre-wedding jitters Skye can think of things worse than murder. "Was she prepared for all the missed holidays and lonely nights?" She is marrying the police chief. But, why didn't he tell her about the sexy woman at the shooting range? Then, there's Skye's pushy mom, May, who never did like Wally as a husband for her only daughter. May seems strangely subdued right now. And, then there's the ghost that haunts Skye's house.

Denise Swanson manages to combine mystery, holidays, and a wedding in he charming sixteenth novel in the Scumble River series. As always, the story is filled with family, friends, and a little humor to accompany the murder investigation. And, no matter how funny some of the scenes are, and how involved the characters get in the case, Swanson doesn't forget to add the human touch to the case and the romance. Skye and Wally do want justice for the victim. And, even in the midst of a case, they keep their love and the wedding plans front and center. It's those touches that bring readers back to the series.

(Let's face it. Who isn't a sucker for a romantic wedding? In fact, Swanson's wedding scene was so beautiful, it brought a tear. And, it isn't often I cry over a mystery. Maybe I can get away with saying I cried because the victim in Murder of a Stacked Librarian, rather than I cried at a wedding in a mystery. What do you think?)

Denise Swanson's website is www.deniseswanson.com.

Murder of a Stacked Librarian by Denise Swanson. Obsidan. 2013. ISBN 9780451416506 (paperback), 272p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - The author sent me a copy of the book, hoping I would review it.


12 comments:

Jane R said...

Hmmm.... not sure I like the idea of a librarian falling victim to murder. That's hitting a bit close to home! Denise Swanson's Scumble River mysteries are just plain fun and since I'm a librarian and I had a Christmas wedding a 'few' years ago, I will definitely be reading this one. Thanks for the review!

Lesa said...

That's what I told Denise Swanson, Jane, when she emailed to ask if I'd like a copy of the book. Don't tell me you murdered a librarian! You'll probably be able to identify with Skye trying to juggle the holidays and her wedding. You're welcome!

Beth Hoffman said...

"The only thing worse than nobody having a motive is when everybody has one." That sentence made me laugh. This sounds like a fun read!

Trisha Klowak said...

I normally don't read too many mysteries, but I may have to take a look at this one!!!

Lesa said...

I liked that sentence, too, Beth. It was a fun read. And, the wedding vows made me tear up.

Lesa said...

It's a fun one, Trisha. I hope you enjoy it if you pick it up.

Melissa @ My Recent Favorite Books said...

This sounds like a interesting book, thanks for the review!

Lesa said...

Definitely my pleasure, Melissa. I hope you get a chance to try it.

Karen C said...

This sounds like a fun read - except for killing off the librarian, of course!!!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Karen. I appreciate the added part of your comment!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun read!

--Brenda W.

Lesa said...

It was a fun book, Brenda.