Friday, August 09, 2013

Cloche and Dagger by Jenn McKinlay

New York Times bestselling author Jenn McKinlay launches a fun new mystery series with Cloche and Dagger. It's filled with McKinlay's trademark humor, great characters, hats, and it's set in London. What's not to love?

When Scarlett Parker's love life in Florida goes viral on the Internet, her cousin Vivian Tremont insists she move to London.Vivian and Scarlett had inherited their gramdmother's Notting Hill hat shop, Mim's Whims. But, Viv was the milliner in the family. Although Scarlett loved the shop and Mim, she had gone into the hospitality industry in the U.S. Now, with her job a victim of the scandal, she has no reason not to take over her share of the business. And, she can't wait to see Viv. But, when Scarlett gets to London, and Viv's business manager, Harrison Wentworth, meets her instead of Viv, Scarlett is suspicious. Where is Viv?

Scarlett is the only one worried. Everyone from Harrison to Viv's mother insists that's just Viv. She disappears when she is passionate about something. Suddenly, though, Scarlett isn't the only one asking where Vivian is. One of Viv's customers is found dead, wearing only the cloche Viv made. Scarlett might be worried for her cousin, but the police would like to know if Viv might have been involved in the murder.

It just doesn't feel right to Scarlett. "The whole point of coming to England and working in the shop was to take my mind off the disaster I had left behind....However, I did not like not knowing where my cousin was and that no one, save me, seemed overly concerned about her. I did not like finding clients murdered. And I most definitely did not like waking up to find someone trying to smother me."

McKinlay skillfully weaves together mystery, British society, humor and sexual tension. Scarlett is a narrator with a sense of humor who has a gift for hospitality. She and Harrison make wonderful sparring partners. And, it's easy to fall for Scarlett's new friends. I adore Andre and Nick, the couple down the street. Cloche and Dagger is a character-driven mystery, filled with lovable people.

Jenn McKinlay's Cloche and Dagger has just been released. Don't hesitate to settle in for an armchair visit to London. All you need is a sense of humor, and an appreciation for an entertaining mystery. And, if you love hats, all the better!

Jenn McKinlay's website is www.jennmckinlay.com

Cloche and Dagger by Jenn McKinlay. Berkley Prime Crime. 2013. ISBN 9780425258897 (paperback), 293p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - The publisher sent me a copy of the book, hoping I would review it.



8 comments:

Jenn McKinlay said...

Hi, Lesa,

I am just delighted that you enjoyed the book! Yay! Really missed you at the Poisoned Pen last night.

XO
Jenn

Beth Hoffman said...

The gal down the street adores cozies and British humor, mysteries, etc. I'm going to email her your link! I suspect she'd love this book.

Happy weekend to you and the kitties!

Lesa said...

I could have worn a hat, Jenn! Feel really bad that I couldn't be there to celebrate your hat shop mystery debut.

Lesa said...

Beth, You'd be a terrific Readers' Advisor. You pay attention to what people like to read. I hope she enjoys it!

Happy weekend, back!

Yvonne said...

This sounds like a great cozy series! I can't wait to read it.

Lesa said...

It is terrific, Yvonne. I think you'll enjoy it!

Melissa Bo said...

I really enjoy Jenn McKinlay's books, and Im looking forward to reading this one!

Thanks for the review!

Lesa said...

My pleasure, Melissa, and I mean it. I enjoy Jenn's books and her humor, too.