Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Munificent Macmillan

I haven't finished the book I'm reading, Gillian Flynn's Dark Places, so I'm going to do something unusual. Tomorrow, I'll be posting the September Treasures in My Closet, the posting of forthcoming September releases. But, I opened package after package today from Macmillan, five August releases that won't get mentioned for a while. And, there are some special books here that I want to share. So, there will be two days in a row of book titles. There's some great August reading, mysteries and historical fiction, coming from Macmillan, and some terrific September books of all types.

First, the historical fiction. It might take me a while to get through Robert The Bruce by Jack Whyte, but I'm definitely going to read it. It's the story of Robert I, known to Scotland as Robert the Bruce, Scotland's greatest king. He led his people during the War of Scottish Independence against England, and his reign saw Scotland recognized as an independent nation. The first book in his Tale of the Guardians series, The Forest Laird, featured William Wallace, a hero to the Scots. Now, he turns to Robert the Bruce for the story of another Scottish hero.




There are four crime novels, beginning with Douglas Corleone's thriller, Good as Gone. Simon Fisk is a former U.S. marshal who makes his living finding children who have been abducted by their estranged parents. He doesn't take cases involving stranger abductions because those strike too close to the case of his own daughter who disappeared years earlier. But, when the French government forces him to help with the search for a six-year-old abducted from her parents' hotel room, he ends up on a dangerous international search.




David Handler, author of the Berger and Mitry mysteries, launches a new PI series with Runaway Man. Benji Golden's late father, the famed cop Meyer Golden, started Golden Legal Services, which is now headed by his mother, Abby, who used to be the only Jewish pole dancer in NYC. Benji, small in stature, but big in brains, is the perfect P.I. to fly under the radar. Then there's "Lovely Rita," the third member of the firm, a gorgeous computer wizard and former lap dancer. When a prestigious law firm hires them to find a missing college student, it seems to be a simple job. But, Benji's investigation leads to several murders involving a powerful family, and now Benji has to stay alive while tracking a killer.


Todd Ritter's Bad Moon was one of my favorite books of 2011. Now, he's back with the third book to feature Perry Hollow Police Chief Kat Campbell, Devil's Night. Campbell never thought she would be running into burning buildings again, or lay eyes on Henry Goll, the man who was trapped inside one with her just over a year ago when the Grim Reaper killings wreaked havoc on the town. Now, both happen on the same day when she's rushed into the town's only museum. The building was set on fire, and in the fire is the museum curator, dead, murdered, but not burned. The next twenty-four hours will be the most dangerous of her life as she seeks a killer and the motivation behind the crimes.

The San Jose Mercury News called Sheldon Russell's character, Hook Runyon, "a great character - smart, tough, and quite relentless." Now, the railroad bull heads to the Southwest in The Hanging of Samuel Ash, a novel set in the 1940s. When Hook is called to investigate a malfunctioning signal, he finds the body of a young man strung up, hung from the signal. The only identification is a bronze hero's medal. When Hook sets out to find the dead boy's family, as well as his killer, he comes across more danger than he could have predicted.


Terrific group of books, isn't it? Just too good not to share.

11 comments:

donna said...

Hi Lesa - I'm looking forward to your review tomorrow of Gilian Flynn's latest book as I just finished reading Gone Girl. I thought it was good but not to the extent of all the claim it has gotten and it is being made into a movie. I can not understand how they are going to adapt it into a movie as so much is happening in the minds of the characters as opposed to action. I always find it interesting which books become popular and also which ones get optioned for the movies. Just wondering what everyone here thought of Gone Girl?
Donna

SandyG265 said...

I'll have to check out the new David Handler. I like his Berger and Mitry series.

Lesa said...

Donna,

Not a big fan of Gone Girl; in fact, I didn't finish it. And, not a big fan of this one either, but I have to read it for a seminar I'm attending this weekend.

Lesa said...

I liked his Berger & Mitry books, too, Sandy. Looking forward to this one!

donna said...

Hi Lesa - Glad to hear that it isn't just me. It really is hard to predict what is going to be a big hit. I won't try any more of hers.
Regards,
Donna

Lesa said...

I wouldn't either, Donna, except I needed to read this one. Just not my type of book.

Jane R said...

I've been working my way thru Handler's Berger and Mitry mysteries and thoroughly enjoy them. I'm looking forward to his latest venture. Somehow I've missed Todd Ritter, so will definitely check out his series. As far as Gone Girl goes, I've had the title on my book list forever but somehow haven't read it yet. Not sure I'll like it, despite all the hype, but somehow I feel almost obligated to give it a go. ;o) Thanks for the heads up on the new titles, Lisa!

Lesa said...

My pleasure, Jane. And, wait until you see tomorrow's list!

Karen C said...

Whew! Didn't find anything I couldn't live without. Probably won't be so lucky with the September releases!

Todd Ritter said...

Thanks for the mention, Lesa! Hope you enjoy DEVIL'S NIGHT when you get the time to read it. There seems to be a ton of potentially great reads coming out this month. My TBR pile is a mile high and growing.

Lesa said...

There are a ton of potentially great reads coming out. I'm looking forward to reading DEVIL'S NIGHT, though, Todd. I like your characters, your setting, and your style.