Sunday, July 28, 2013

Leighton Gage, RIP



I'm just so stunned. I've announced the death of authors before, ones that I admired. But, I've never had to announce the death of an author that I knew and hosted at the Velma Teague Library. Leighton Gage was one of the first authors to come to the library. In fact, his publisher, Soho Press, said he wanted to come there because he loved my blog. I was hesitant because he was a first time author, and his Mario Silva mysteries were set in Brazil. I warned them I might not have an audience. He came anyway, and he came on a rainy night (very unusual in Arizona), and enjoyed himself enough that he came back again. Our timing just never seemed right. The second time, he and his lovely wife, Eide, came on the day of Glendale's Chocolate Affaire, a day filled more with chocolate lovers than mystery lovers. But, he bought Eide chocolate covered strawberries.

His daughter, Melina, announced his death today, followed by a beautiful statement by Eide.

"'My Dearest Friends,
The light of my life was extinguished last night.
Leight passed to eternity peacefully in his sleep.
Should we cry because he died or smile because he lived?'"

A little of both, Eide. I'm going to miss his Mario Silva novels, and his notes. The last time we corresponded, I sent him a couple issues of Bookpage when they raved about his most recent book, Perfect Hatred. He wanted to share the review with his daughters. I'm going to miss him. Rest in Peace, Leighton.


11 comments:

Beth Hoffman said...

It's always sad when a writing voice is silenced. Godspeed, Leighton.

Lesa said...

It is, Beth. Just so sad.

Simon Wood said...

so sad...and totally unexpected...

Lesa said...

Totally unexpected on my end, Simon. I guess Jeffrey Siger mentioned on Facebook that he'd been sick for a couple months, but I had no idea. Very sad.

Anonymous said...

This is such sad news & hard to believe. I am so sorry to hear it. Thank you for letting us know.

--Brenda W.

Joe Barone said...

Oh, my! I am so sad. I really liked his writing.

Lesa said...

I don't know if I should really say "You're welcome", Brenda. I'm not really happy about sharing it. Joe, I really liked his writing too. I loved his characters and their backstories.

caite said...

Sad to find out about the death of someone you had a connection with.
I must check out his books

Melissa Bo said...

Im so sorry to hear this.
Sending prayers.

Lesa said...

Do check out his books, Caite. Quite gritty, though, so they might not be what you want. It's up to you.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Melissa.