Thursday, July 18, 2013

A Good Book Day

I had a good book day! What's that mean to you? What's your good book day?

First, I talked about books for two hours today. I'm teaching Readers' Advisory workshops every Wednesday for six weeks. I hope the attendees are enjoying the sessions as much as I am.

I agreed to host an upcoming guest piece from Cassandra King. Her novel, Moonrise, will come out in September, and I'll have two finished copies to give away to readers! Are you ready for a Southern Gothic novel?

And, I received eight books in the mail today. Three were from Penguin's Obsidian, so you'll have to wait to hear about them until this month's book chat. The book chat featuring August mysteries from Berkley Prime Crime and Obsidian will cover nine books. (I'll see if I can round up a cat or two for that.)

The other five books are included in my good book day.

Scholastic sent a coming-of-age novel for ages ten to fourteen. Kathryn Erskine's Seeing Red comes out in October. It's a story based on the author's own memories and experiences with racial segregation. Red Porter's entire life changed when his father died and he has to face questions about his family's legacy and the injustices of his hometown. It's a story of family, friendship, and race relations.

There are three mysteries from Macmillan's Minotaur Books. Charles Finch's A Death in the Small Hours is out in paperback on Aug. 6. Set in Victorian England, Charles Lenox, now at the pinnacle of his political career and a new father, has left his crime investigation days behind him. However, he finds a crime-ridden village when he plans a visit to the quiet Plumbley. And, it isn't long before he's caught up in a case again.

I'l admit my favorite book today is a November release, Julia Spencer-Fleming's new book featuring police chief Russ Van Alstyne and Episcopalian priest Clare Fergusson. It's Through the Evil Days. I don't want to spoil anything for those who might not be completely through the series. So, I'll just say that Russ and Clare face a kidnapper and a link to an arson investigation while in a remote section of the state. It's a dangerous crew they face while determined to stay alive.

Tasha Alexander continues her successful Victorian series with an October 15 release, Behind the Shattered Glass. How about a mystery that features "A ruined abbey on a beautiful estate in Derbyshire; a murdered peer; upstairs/downstairs secrets, and an unlikely romance" in a "Cinderella-meets-Downton Abbey story"? It's set in Victorian England and features Lady Emily and her dashing aristocratic husband.

Jess McConkey's latest novel, The Widows of Braxton County, also has a mystery link. As Shirley Damsgaard, she wrote the Ophelia and Abby mysteries. Now, under her pseudonym, McConkey, she looks at family secrets. Kate puts her city past behind her when she marries Joe Krause and moves to his family farm in Iowa. As she struggles to find her place in the small farming community, she begins to realize her husband and family are not who she thought they were. Town gossip says the family harbors a long-kept secret about a mysterious death, a secret that haunts Kate as a dangerous chain of events begins.

I'd love to hear what makes a good book day for you. I talked about books for two hours, booked a guest piece on the blog and two giveaway books, had eight books waiting at home, and three of those are for the next book chat. Definitely a good book day!


SandyG265 said...

A good book day for me is a trip out to have Chinese for lunch and then a stop by the local used book store and coming home with a batch of books.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Sandy! A good book day for me used to be a visit to the Poisoned Pen when an author was speaking. It's changed since I'm here in Indiana. I love to hear what others consider a "good book day". Thank you!

Janet C said...

I always look forward to the first of the month when the Prime Time books come out. So many of these authors have become favorites. Oh, August 27th should be a really great book day.

Lesa said...

Janet, I agree about Aug. 27. Can't wait to read Louise Penny's How the Light Gets In. Isn't the world celebrating Louise Penny Day on Aug. 27th?

Karen C said...

Very simple for me - any day I get to read is a good book day. Trying to be good and go through my TBR list - until I saw Through the Evil Days by Julia Spencer-Fleming. Now I have to add to it! Thanks, Lesa~~

CindyD said...

So jealous you already have THROUGH EVIL DAYS!

Lesa said...

Yes, Julia Spencer-Fleming is a must-read for many of us, I imagine.

Kimberly said...

I first found Julia Spencer-Fleming through a free ebook offer when I got my first Kindle back in 2008. I have ripped through the rest of her backlist and have been a devoted fan ever since. A great book day is when I can ignore the rest of the world and read to my heart's content, whether on Kindle or a "real" book. A good book day is when I get to read. That's most days!

Dotty R said...

A good book day for me is when I get to read a new book by one of my favorite authors. Louise Penny, for sure and also Julia Spencer-Fleming. I am so looking forward to reading Through the Evil Days and I,too, am jealous that you've read it.