Saturday, May 18, 2013

Weekend Reading?

Early day yesterday. Left home at 5:15 to head to Terra Haute for an all-day conference. Needless to say, I
didn't finish a book to review. So, let's talk about weekend reading. Are you out and about on Saturday (as I am) or are you settled in with a book? Once I get home, I'm reading Lacey Baker's Homecoming, which appears to be the first in a series set in Sweetland, Maryland.

What are you reading this weekend?

(And, you'll want to check in tomorrow when I have a special win it before you can buy it contest.)


Rosemary said...

Hi Lesa

After a beautiful day here yesterday, today it the rain is pelting down and it's so dark you would think it was winter.

I have to go up to Gullane library (one of my favourites, a little branch library in a seaside town 3 miles away) to collect a book I have ordered - it's the Bonne Maman cookbook (Bonne Maman is a make of French jams, I think you do get it in the US). I saw it in a shop but I prefer to borrow cookbooks first to see if I actually fine them as useful as I think I will - then I buy the good ones. Sometimes I am seduced by a beautiful cover, only to find that the recipes are far too complicated or need very expensive ingredients.

I've also agreed to volunteer to help deliver library books to housebound people in the area once a month, so I need to hand in my enrolment form for that.

The book I am trying to finish is The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds by Alexander McCall Smith, but I'm not really enjoying it and I think this will be the last Isobel Dalhousie book of his that I read - she has just become too perfect, with her perfect Edinburgh house, perfect younger lover (now husband), perfect 3 yr old, perfect housekeeper, millions in the bank, etc, etc. I know McCall Smith uses all his books as a chance to debate philosophical and ethical issues (as that's what he used to teach) but they are intruding too much and there's not enough story.

My mother has also just asked me to recommend some new writers to her, so I'm going to enjoy compiling a list - though i have to think about it as she doesn't enjoy a lot of the authors that I love. I'm also going to recommend Simon Savidge's wonderful website to her - he's an avid reviewer, and also presents book programmes on local radio in Newcastle and has a lot of other things going on - he writes in such a warm and interesting way. I would recommend your site to my mother too, but unfortunately she can't stand cosies and likes things full of blood and guts (urgh.)

I have just been invited to a book launch - the first book by a writer I met at the conference I went to recently. She is called Barbara Henderson but she writes as Bea Davenport and her book is called 'In Too Deep':

Although the conference wasn't so good, I met some great people, which was certainly a plus.

I'll let you get on with your reading now - enjoy!


SandyG265 said...

I just came back from a trip to PA so I haven't had much time to read the last couple of days but I'm partway through Deadly Sting, the latest book in Jennife Estep's Elemental Assassian series. It's an Urban Fantasy series with magic users, vampires, dwarves, and giants.

After that I have The Body in the Piazza by Katherine Hall Page waiting for me at the library.

Lesa said...

Rosemary! What a wonderful note to find when I got up this morning. Thank you for writing and catching me up on what's going on with you. I'm so glad you're going to deliver books to the homebound. I hope you enjoy it, and they appreciate it. I find it funny that your mother likes the blood and gore in books.

Have a beautiful day. And, thank you for sharing your time with us.

Lesa said...


Trips do cut down on reading time, don't they? I'll have to check out Jennifer Estep's books. That's the second time someone has mentioned them lately. Thanks!

Jane R said...

I've met myself coming and going this week, so I'm looking forward to some quality reading time in the next few days. I'm just finishing Julie Hyzy's Fonduing Fathers and then will start Rage Against the Dying by Becky Masterman. It's been in my book pile for awhile and sooner or later the library is going to want it back! Travel safe this weekend, Lesa.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Jane! Home safe and sound. I kmow exactly what you mean, though, about meeting yourself coming and going. Two good books you're reading!

Karen C said...

I haven't had much time for reading this week as we drove to Sedona, AZ last weekend, spent the week looking for a house for my daughter, and driving home this weekend. She did find a house to rent in Prescott Valley and we'll be moving her mid-June. I did manage to find time for Haven by Kay Hooper and now reading Murder at the P&Z by Dorothy H Hayes.

Reine said...

Hi Lesa,

I'm reading Every Broken Trust by Linda Rodriguez. I loved her first book, Every Last Secret, and became hooked on the characters.

I'm rereading Hank Phillippi Ryan's The Other Woman on The reader is wonderful, and all the plot twists and turns make it a terrific mystery.

Lesa said...

Two terrific books, Reine. Of course you know that, especially since you're rereading Hank's book.

Leemarie said...

Hi, Lesa!
Just finished Brad Parks' "The Girl Next Door," and my TBR pile now includes "The Good Cop," which I won in your latest contest. YEA! I've read so many positive reviews of Timothy Hallinan's books that I downloaded his first Junior Bender mystery, "Crashed" onto my kindle. I've been reluctant to begin the series since Junior is a thief, and I prefer protagonists I can admire. I'll let you know whether I liked it when I've finished. I've also just begun "Remedies" by Kate Ledger after reading positive reviews on @FridayReadsWin on twitter. Seems like a terrific character study and potential book club recommendation. Again, I'll let you know if it lives up to the recommendation.

Lesa said...

Karen! I hope your daughter takes the time to check out the library in Prescott Valley. A friend of mine and former co-worker is head of circulation there. I can understand why you haven't had time to read!

Lesa said...

I'll be waiting to see what you think of Tim hallinan's book, Leemarie, since it's outside your comfort zone. You never know! Keep me posted.