Thursday, May 23, 2013

Summer Reading?

Well, it wasn't the best day yesterday, so I needed some family time last night. That means I didn't finish my book.

School let out here on Wednesday. So, for kids it's the start of summer vacation. How many of us think of summer as starting on Monday? So, I have a topic for today. What books are you looking forward to reading this summer? Here are four at the top of my reading list.

Chris Grabenstein, author of the Ceepak mysteries, takes us into an unusual library in his juvenile book, Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library. Some of the staff at the library are even using Chris' game this summer. When the world's most famous game maker designed a town's library, he sends out special invitations for a lock-in. But, getting in is the easy part. Grabenstein's puzzler makes it harder to get out. (June release)




How about a debut epistolary novel? Letters from Skye by Jessica Brockmole spans two continents and two world wars. In 1912, a wartime correspondence blossoms into friendship, and then into love. In 1940, a young woman falls for a pilot in the Royal Air Force. Her mother warns her against falling in love during wartime, and then disappears during an air raid. A letter is the only clue as to her mother's whereabouts, and the only clue to the past. (July release)





And, then there are the two August mysteries I'm waiting to read. They're both written by Canadian authors, and set in Canada. Vicki Delany's A Cold White Sun is the latest Constable Molly Smith mystery. When a middle-aged teacher is gunned down on a hiking trail in Trafalgar, British Columbia, Sergeant John Winters calls on Molly to assist with the investigation. However, he's bothered by the thought that there may be another murder.



In Louise Penny's How the Light Gets In, Chief Inspector Armand Gamache faces his nemesis and investigates a case that draws him even deeper into Three Pines as he seeks a safe place for himself and his remaining loyal colleagues after most of his best agents have left the Homicide Department and Jean-Guy Beauvoir hasn't spoken to him in months.

There are so many other books for summer reading, but those four top my TBR pile. (It looks like a blue season, doesn't it?)  What books are you planning to read this summer?







10 comments:

Jane R said...

We must have been sharing the same day, Lesa. Mine wasn't the greatest either. Meanwhile, I have a list a mile long for my summer reading. It ihas quite a few series that I enjoy, including Victoria Thompson, David Handler and Brad Parks. And BTW, I'm just finishing Rage Against the Dying - WOW! What a good book! I need to find more with that quality of writing!

Joyce Delaney said...

May today be much better.

SandyG265 said...

I have a huge TBR pile but here are a few of the ones I'm looking foward to. Gift Wrapped by Peter Turnbull, A Cookbook Conspiracy by Kate Carlisle, and Heart of Venom by Jennifer Estep.

Lesa said...

Jane,

Wasn't that a terrific book? And, as many books as we both read, it does strike you once in a while that one is so much better written than others.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Joyce.

I think it will be.

Lesa said...

Kate Carlisle's book! I'm looking forward to reading that too, Sandy. I just love to peek at other people's TBR piles.

Karen C said...

My TBR pile is so huge, I don't even know where to begin. I think my reading time is going to get the short end of the stick this summer. What with helping my daughter pack and actually move her to Arizona and helping my husband in his new store AND trying to get back into a fitness routine .... not how I had planned things!

Lesa said...

Well, darn, Karen. Maybe you'll get some reading time in the fall. Good luck with your summer projects!

holdenj said...

I was thinking about the Louise Penny as I scrolled down and saw your choices! Definitely waiting for that!

Lesa said...

Yay for the Louise Penny book!