Wednesday, May 29, 2013

New York City - Hotel Yotel

I'm in New York City for Book Expo America, BEA, the publishing trade show. I flew in yesterday, and I'm staying at the Hotel Yotel. It's a cute boutique hotel. You check in with a touch screen in the hotel, feed it the credit card. The rooms are small, as so many rooms in NYC are, but my room is as cute as can be. But, they call them cabins, because they're very compact, as a ship cabin.

The bed is compact, so there's room to walk around, but you press a button, and it extends to full length.

The rooms have signs that look like cabin numbers. (This is NOT my room number. - smile)

And, my favorite part is actually the sign to hang on the door when you're ready for cleaning. Love this!

So, I arrived at the hotel about 6, took a few pictures, and then took off for Broadway. My hotel is within walking distance, which is where I like to be. I went to see The Trip to Bountiful last night with Cicely Tyson, Cuba Gooding, Jr., Vanessa Williams,  Tom Wopat and Condola Rashad. Terrific cast, and a terrific play. Everyone was good, but Cicely Tyson owned that stage.

I don't know how much I'll have time to write this week. Full day tomorrow, and I'm catching up with librarian friends from Florida who I haven't seen in 9 years. If there's nothing here on Thursday, I promise I'll catch you up soon!


Jane R said...

What fun! And I absolutely love your hotel. Have a great time as you explore the cosmos!

Lesa said...

I went out to explore the cosmos this morning before the Library Journal Day of Dialog, Jane. I love the NYC cosmos!

Jane R said...

Me too! Wish I was there! What a dynamic, ever-changing city. It's been about a year and a half since I was last visited. Enjoy all the sights and sounds for me!

Dru said...

I never heard of this hotel, and I'm definitely checking it out.

Ann Holt said...

Love the idea of a place to sleep in the theater district! Sounds like you are having a fabulous time at BEA!

Lesa said...

Oh, I'm having a great time. I try to stay close to the theater district, so I can walk back and forth. Love it here!

Rosemary said...

Hi Lesa - the only time I ever stayed in NYC was in 1979, when I was doing a Greyhound trip across the US with a college friend. We stayed in a YWCA somewhere in the city - it was awful! I couldn't believe the noise, the dirt, etc - and some of the other residents were quite scary. However, we survived, and loved the city - in fact I still have a photo of the pair of us in the restaurant at the top of the Twin Towers.

Your room looks great and you sound like you're having a wonderful time - but I know you are the sort of person who always manages to do just that!

I was thrilled to discover that there really is someone called Maryellen as well as the daughter in The Waltons (which my mother & I used to watch avidly many years ago.)

I have just come back from 4 days in Aberdeen - not quite so exciting as NYC, but I did catch up with some very good friends, which was lovely. I also trawled the better charity shops for books that I certainly don't need - but it's always good to see a different selection. One of the ones I succumbed to (for only £1) was a Debbie Macomber Blossom Street book - 'Starting Now' - I can't read too many of these without a break, and I know they're not Literary Fiction (whatever that may mean) but sometimes I really enjoy them - as I did yesterday evening, as I had dinner on the train and sat sipping wine and looking out over an unusually blue North Sea.

Enjoy the rest of your stay - what do you do with your cats when you're away?


joana said...

Realizing that money is a huge factor in finding a discount New York hotels before you book your room - be sure to understand the neighborhood. A not so great neighborhood in New York City can really be unsafe and saving the money may really not be worth it.