Thursday, May 30, 2013

New York City, 1st Day, 2013

Terrific first whole day in NYC. I headed out before 7 a.m. to walk from the hotel to Junior's for breakfast. I think I ate two breakfasts and cheesecake at Junior's the last time I was here with Anna. Junior's is famous for its cheesecake, but not at 7 a.m.



Since I was really early, I had time to take some pictures, first of posters for the two musicals I'm seeing this week. I'm going to Once on Thursday and Pippin on Friday.


And, a theater district sign.



Then, just some Times Square signs. I'm addicted to Times Square. I love the lights, the crowds, the energy.



From Times Square, I walked toward the McGraw-Hill building, where the LJ Day of Dialog was to be held.



Radio City Music Hall is close by. Three trips to NYC, and I haven't made it there yet. Of course, there are lots of places I haven't seen here yet.  Someday!



Two great things about the Library Journal Day of Dialog, hearing the panel, "Editor's Picks", and catching up with friends. I ran into Susan Hayes, who I worked with in Lee County. She's now in Georgia. Hugs with Robin Beerbower from Salem, Oregon and Talia Sherer from Macmillan. Stephanie Chase is now with Seattle Public Library, and she's one of the moderators of tomorrow's AAP Librarians' Luncheon. I finally met @HartGami from GalleyChat and Twitter, who is actually Janet Lockhart. And, I talked with a couple library reps I correspond with from Penguin and HarperCollins.

The Editors' Picks was a panel of five representatives from publishing houses who talked about their key titles. Here are two. Jonathan Burnham from HarperCollins picked Mitch Albom's novel, The First Phone Call from Heaven, due out in November. And, Pamela Dorman, Pamela Dorman, Books from Penguin Group (USA) highlighted Beth Hoffman's Looking for Me, which came out on Tuesday.



I headed over to the Javits Center to pick up my registration packet and listen to the BEA keynote address. After walking around to get my bearings again, I ran into Maryellen Woodside and Sally Bissell, two of my favorite librarians from Lee County. We already had plans to go to dinner last night at the Library Hotel, but we took time to catch up. Then, I went to my program, and they returned to their sessions.

Before I left the Javits Center, though, I took pictures of two of the banners hanging over the entrance to the exhibition hall, banners for featured fall books.




Headed back to the hotel, so I could download pictures, work on the blog, and rest for a little before going out tonight. I did take time to do one thing, though, that I hadn't yet done in NYC. I found a cart, and bought a pretzel from a vendor. I hadn't yet had a NYC pretzel. (Didn't eat much, just wanted to try it, but it was cheaper than the bottled water from the Javits Center. The water was $3. 50.)

Ended the day at the Library Hotel's restaurant, Madison and Vine, with some of my favorite Lee County librarians. It has been nine years since I saw Maryellen Woodside and Sally Bissell. I loved working with them on Readers' Advisory, and on the Authors' Committee for the Lee County Reading Festival. Let's face it. They always were as excited about books and authors as I am. I felt as if it was yesterday that I saw them last. When I left, and they cut back on their role in the festival, Jessica Girlando took over. We had some good years together, and 3 1/2 hours of dinner and chocolate martinis last night. Very special friends.

With Sally Bissell and Maryellen Woodside

Jessica Girlando, Sally Bissell, Me, Maryellen Woodside



11 comments:

SandyG265 said...

When I was a kid my dad used to buy me pretzels from the carts when we went into NYC in the summer. But my favorite was in the fall when they sold bags of roasted chestnuts. My dad had to peel them for me because they were too hot.

Joe Barone said...

Sounds like you are having a good time, learning, and making contacts along the way. That's great.

Jane R said...

It's so much fun to reconnect with old friends. What a great time! (and I'll bet the conference is great,too!)

Reine said...

Wonderful pictures, Lesa! I love Times Square too.

Rosemary said...

Rosemary said...

Lesa, I realised I posted this on yesterday's entry by mistake so I'm reposting it here - I don't mean you have to read it twice!


Hi Lesa - the only time I ever stayed in NYC was in 1979, when I was doing a Greyhound trip across the US with a college friend. We stayed in a YWCA somewhere in the city - it was awful! I couldn't believe the noise, the dirt, etc - and some of the other residents were quite scary. However, we survived, and loved the city - in fact I still have a photo of the pair of us in the restaurant at the top of the Twin Towers.

Your room looks great and you sound like you're having a wonderful time - but I know you are the sort of person who always manages to do just that!

I was thrilled to discover that there really is someone called Maryellen as well as the daughter in The Waltons (which my mother & I used to watch avidly many years ago.)

I have just come back from 4 days in Aberdeen - not quite so exciting as NYC, but I did catch up with some very good friends, which was lovely. I also trawled the better charity shops for books that I certainly don't need - but it's always good to see a different selection. One of the ones I succumbed to (for only £1) was a Debbie Macomber Blossom Street book - 'Starting Now' - I can't read too many of these without a break, and I know they're not Literary Fiction (whatever that may mean) but sometimes I really enjoy them - as I did yesterday evening, as I had dinner on the train and sat sipping wine and looking out over an unusually blue North Sea.

Enjoy the rest of your stay - what do you do with your cats when you're away?

Rosemary

Ingrid King said...

One of these years, I have to make it to BEA. Sure wish I'd done it this year, so I could have met you in person! Have a great time, Lesa!

Lesa said...

I have a co-worker who comes in and takes care of my cats while I'm gone. It's a great trip. I'll have lots of pictures to show you - probably on Monday.

Thanks for your patience with me. Jane, I love your travel stories! Thank you.

Dru said...

I love looking at NYC through others eyes.

You were at my old job: McGraw Hill.

Lesa said...

Dru, I have some great authors pictures to share on Sunday or Monday. Love NYC'

Janet said...

Thanks for sharing photos of your trip to NYC. It looks like such a fun place to visit. Definitely a once in a lifetime trip!

Lesa said...

Janet,

I'm a big fan of NYC, but you'll never be able to see everything you want to in one trip!