Tuesday, April 09, 2013

The Shared Wisdom of Mothers and Daughters by Alexandra Stoddard

Over the years, Alexandra Stoddard's books have been a symbol to me of gracious living. I appreciated Gift of a Letter, Grace Notes, Living a Beautiful Life. Once again, she writes about her philosophy of life in The Shared Wisdom of Mothers and Daughters: The Timelessness of Simple Truths.

In her books, Stoddard has always discussed her husband, Peter, and her two daughters, Alexandra and Brooke. Now, she shares lessons she's learned in life, but also some of the lessons her daughters have taught her. She is grateful that her relationship with them has changed from "maternal to the best kind of mutual love, caring, respect, and friendship." And, she says, "One of the most important lessons I want to teach my daughters is to grow old vigorously - continuously stretching their mind - and to remain vitally engaged in a full, generous, and happy life."

Stoddard's book is filled with her philosophy of life, and she credits much of it to her belief in lifelong learning, saying you should never stop learning. And, of course, I appreciated her comment, "A lifelong love of learning begins with a love of reading." The book touches on family, happiness, beauty, subjects she covers over and over in her books. But, they're the subjects of life. And, one of her final chapters is titled, "Choose to remain an optimist."

Every time I pick up one of Alexandra Stoddard's books, she takes me into a world of reflection and beauty. And, I'm always grateful for the time I spend in the company of her words. The Shared Wisdom of Mothers and Daughters is no exception.

The Shared Wisdom of Mothers and Daughters: The Timelessness of Simple Truths by Alexandra Stoddard. William Morrow. 2013. ISBN 9780062116376 (hardcover), 155p.

FTC Full Disclosure - The publisher sent me a copy of the book, hoping I would review it.


June Shaw said...

What beautiful thoughts Stoddard shares in this book. Now I'll need to read it. Thanks for sharing your review with us.

Jane R said...

Alexandra Stoddard does write beautiful books and it's been a few years since I picked one up. I had really forgotten about this author. Thanks for the reminder!

Lesa said...

You're welcome, June. And, Jane? I hadn't thought of her, either, but I always appreciated the beauty of her books.

Beth Hoffman said...

This is quite similar to one of my mantras --> "Choose to remain an optimist."

This book sounds so positive and uplifting. Lovely review, Lesa!