Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Stormy Roy Ann Weatherly - RIP

Sometimes life interferes with reading. I had to put Stormy Roy Ann Weatherly to sleep yesterday. She was seventeen, my oldest cat. And, now there's a little less soul in my home, and a little piece of my heart broken. Feel free not to read this, but it helps me to write about her.

Stormy was one of my Florida cats. She showed up in the middle of a storm when she was about two. We brought her in, and when she immediately made herself at home, forcing her way in with our first cat, Marmalade, she made a place in our hearts.Jim threw out the name Stormy. My father-in-law, Harry, said there was a ballplayer named Roy "Stormy" Weatherly. I said I'd be darned if I'd name a girl Roy, so she became Stormy Roy Ann Weatherly.

Stormy was my cat who could fly. For years, she could go from the floor to the top of any cabinet or dresser. She was the first to figure out how to jump from the top of the cat condo, around the corner, and up to the entertainment center. Until the younger boys figured out how to follow her, it was her shelter from them.

She was also the one who wanted to be an indoor cat, but couldn't give up the outdoors. She used to rip out the bottom of the screen in our Florida lanai so she could get out. And, after she ripped it out one day, an opossum came in that hole. I found that possum in my dressing area eating cat food.

Stormy knew she looked good on red, and she loved to pose at Christmas time. The decorations were
just made to show her off.

Stormy only weighed six pounds yesterday, and she was never much bigger. But, she was the cat with an appetite. She'd eat any cat food, and, if you gave her the chance, any meat. She was definitely a carnivore. My cat sitter in Arizona, who adored Stormy, let her get away with stealing food right off of her plate.

But my favorite memory of Stormy will always be from Arizona. Cats always know when you're coming home. Maybe it was because Stormy was always hungry, but she was always waiting for me to get home from work. She used to sit at the window, and, when she saw me coming up the walk from the garage, she'd raise her paw at me, just as if she was greeting me.

Stormy was one of the cats who made two trips across country. She traveled from Florida to Arizona, and then from Arizona to Indiana. She was independent, a loner, who only became affectionate in the last year when she had no more meat on her bones, and was cold all the time. That meant she sat on my lap whenever I sat down to read.

Mark Twain loved cats, and had so many comments to make about them. And, I have other cats to love. But, this quote is still perfect. "A home without a cat -- and a well-fed, well-petted and properly revered cat -- may be a perfect home, perhaps, but how can it prove title?"
- Pudd'nhead Wilson

Stormy Roy Ann Watherly was defintely well-fed, well-petted and properly revered. And, she's going to be missed so much.


Rest in Peace, Stormy Roy Ann Weatherly. (April 23, 2013)
 

35 comments:

Liz said...

She was a joy to watch, especially when she was able to jump from one place to another. My heart goes out to you and I know she will be missed. Wish I was there to give you a hug.

Patricia said...

Lesa, a lovely tribute to Stormy. I'd say she chose her family well, thank you for sharing her with us (she was fun to watch and a real beauty). Sending hugs... Patricia

Lesa said...

She was fun to watch. Thank you, Mom. I love you.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Patricia. Writing here has always been my therapy. It's my way of keeping her spirit alive.

Jane R said...

I am so very sorry. This is the hardest thing a pet owner has to do. My heart hurts for you. Stormy had a wonderful life with you and you were both lucky you found each other. In the words of Dr Seuss - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. Please take care.

Joe Barone said...

Oh, my. We've been there and know how hard it is. Blessings.

Bill Crider said...

Very sorry to hear about your loss. We lost our tuxedo cat not too long ago, and we miss her still.

Nancy said...

Stormy was a beautiful cat. So sorry for what you're going through, now. RIP, Stormy.

donna said...

So sorry for your loss. I know each of our pets etches a place in our hearts and I also believe we will all be united once again but it is very hard to let them go.
Donna from CT

Lesa said...

Thank you everyone. I made the decision sooner this time - better for her, maybe harder for me. But, she didn't need to suffer. She was a sweetie.

BPL Ref said...

I'm so sorry to learn of your loss. It's never easy, and I'm too prone to second guessing. But this is a lovely tribute to a lovely little independent soul. She was fortunate to find a home where she was celebrated for who she was.

Jeanne

Inside A Book said...

I am so sorry for your loss. My cats have listened to me, comforted me, helped me laugh when I didn't feel a bit like it and they've just been the company I needed on lonely days. Thank you for loving your funny, furry friend and best of all thank you for putting her first when your heart was breaking.

Fondly,
Gaye

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

Lesa,
I am so sorry for our loss. Pets occupy a special place in our hearts and it's always sad to let go.

le0pard13 said...

Sorry to hear of your loss, Lesa. Heartfelt tribute.

Nancy said...

Lesa, I'm so sorry. I understand what you are feeling and grieve with you.

Libby Dodd said...

They own a piece of our hearts, don't they? It hurts terribly to lose one, but we are so much better for having known them.
So sorry for your loss.

Kay said...

I'm so sorry, Lesa! Hugs, my sweet friend. Stormy was such a beautiful girl & I always enjoyed seeing her pictures.

Charlotte said...

I am so sorry to read about the lost of your sweet fur baby. You were blessed to have shared so many years together. Sounds like she filled your home with joy. I know just how you feel today and only time will help. She will be forever in your heart.

Bella (cozymysterybookreview) said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Lesa. I know how it feels to lose a part of the family like that. I have kids, but our cats are just as much a part of the family as our kids are. Some days the kids argue the cats are more spoilt!!

I agree with Mark Twain a home without cats isn't a home!

SandyG265 said...

Sorry for your loss. It's always hard to lose a pet.

Wendy Allex said...

This is a beautiful tribute to Stormy, Lesa. Thank you for sharing.

Lesa said...

Thank you, everyone. I knew this wouldn't interest some people, but it helps me to share my love of her, and the loss of Stormy.

Dru said...

{{{hugs}}}

Page said...

So sorry for your loss. I had to do that with my first cat 3 years ago and I still miss him

Lesa said...

Thank you everyone, for the hugs and comments. Stormy was my second cat, Page, and she was with me for fifteen years. It's tough to lose her after that much time together.

Jen Forbus said...

My heart is aching for you, Lesa. I'm still mending my own broken heart...but I know Stormy had a very wonderful life as she couldn't have had anything less in home filled with as much love as yours. Hugs my friend!!

Lesa said...

Oh, Jen. It's so hard to let go of them, isn't it? Hugs, and thank you. I know you understand.

Beth Hoffman said...

Oh, Lesa ... I am so, so sorry that you lost your precious Stormy. I can hardly type this for all the tears in my eyes. Your sweet girl traveled many years with you and to say goodbye to such a dear friend is beyond heartbreaking.

Your tribute is beautiful, and I know Stormy's heart is full of your love as she rests at the Rainbow Bridge.

Sending love and hugs to you, my friend.

Carol N Wong said...

So sorry to hear about Stormy. I know that you will miss her deeply.

Sending loads of hugs.

Rosemary Kaye said...

Only just read this Lesa, and I too am so sorry - can hardly write this myself. I've lost cats and dogs over the years and it's truly heartbreaking. Take time to grieve (something that I feel I didn't at times because I thought I should put on a brave face for the children); look after yourself. Thinking of you.

Rosemary

ckubala said...

What a beautiful tribute to a beloved cat. My heart goes out to you.

Lesa said...

Thank you, everyone. It means so much to me that you cared to read it, and that you thought it was a beautiful tribute. And, Beth? I firmly believe we will see them again. I know animals have souls, because there's one missing here at home.

LSUReader said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Animals touch our hearts in such a special way. I'm glad you two found each other. Take care.

Ingrid King said...

Oh Lesa, I'm so sorry for your loss! It's so devastating when these beautiful souls leave us - my heart goes out to you. What a lovely tribute to a special girl.

Lesa said...

Thank you.