Friday, April 05, 2013

Once Upon a Flock by Lauren Scheuer

Once I picked up Lauren Scheuer's Once Upon a Flock: Life with My Soulful Chickens, I just couldn't resist it. The story of her first flock of chickens is adorable with its charming photographs and illustrations.

Scheuer is an artist and illustrator who lives on a Massachusetts farm with her husband and teenage daughter. However, as her daughter became a teenager, the backyard was no longer the place for their shared adventures. So, she decided she wanted a small flock of chickens. She did a great deal of research before picking the breeds of chickens. As an artist, she wanted colorful chickens. "These chickens were going to be my living lawn ornaments, so color was the first consideration." Scheuer ordered chicks that were going to grow up to be black, yellow, red, and striped.

For those of us who don't have chickens, it's hard to imagine the personalities of these birds. But, Lauren Scheuer tells the story of Lucy, Hatsy, L'il White, Pigeon, along with Marky, the dog that became the flock's guardian. And, she sucks the reader into her life as the owner of a flock. She also fills the book with facts about chickens and the building of chicken coops. Then she ties the stories together with actual photographs and her own illustrations.

I never imagined I'd find a book about chickens to be so warm and enjoyable. But, once I saw this book at the library, I found it irresistible. If you're looking for something different and charming, try Lauren Scheuer's Once Upon a Flock.

Lauren Scheuer's website is www.LaurenScheuer.com

Once Upon a Flock: Life with My Soulful Chickens by Lauren Scheuer. Atria Books. 2013. ISBN 9781451698701 (hardcover), 241p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - Library book


4 comments:

Beth Hoffman said...

I simply MUST buy this book. Many of my fondest memories of childhood on the farm include a special chicken who was very much like a dog!

Janet C said...

This is a fairly large movement in Eugene. One of my favorite lines from L. J. Sellers latest book describes a character as "He used to be a logger. Now, he builds urban chicken coops."

Lesa said...

Beth,

I thought of you the entire time I read it. I just knew you'd love the pictures and illustrations, even though I didn't know about your memories from childhood.

Lesa said...

Fascinating book, Janet, particularly for anyone interested in owning chickens who never did before.