Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Genreflecting: A Guide to Popular Reading Interests

No, I didn't read this entire reference book. Genreflecting: A Guide to Popular Reading Interests, Seventh Edition, edited by Cynthia Orr and Diana Tixier Herald, was just released. My copy arrived today.

I contributed the chapter on Mysteries. I started that chapter three years ago, and then had to do some major rewriting because publication was delayed.

So, it was fun to finally see it in print; see the chapter I wrote, and see the bio at the end. And, it's weird. It's a little bittersweet. My grandfather would have been proud. He was a journalist, the farm editor for a newspaper. My father would have been proud. And, Jim would have been proud. He died the month before I started to work on that chapter.

All those mysteries I read? It's all there in that chapter. Genreflecting is a reference book. Most individuals won't own it. But, ask your local public library if they're buying it, and if you can see it afterwards. I wrote Chapter 8. And, here's what's funny. Shelley Mosley was my predecessor at Velma Teague as Library Manager. Shelley is an expert on romances, and she and John Charles from the Scottsdale Public Library co-authored the chapter on romances. Out of all the librarians that contributed to this latest edition, two of us were once managers at Velma Teague. Small world, isn't it?

So, no review today, unless you want to pick up a terrific reference book that discusses popular reading interests, including recommended titles in various genres. (It always was one of my favorite reference tools, even before I was asked to write that chapter.)

Genreflecting: A Guide to Popular Reading Interests. Seventh edition. Cynthia Orr and Diana Tixier Herald, editors. Libraries Unlimited. 2013. ISBN 9781598848403 (hardcover), 622p.


shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

Congratulations! I'd love to take a look at this and will ask my library,

Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

Rosemary Kaye said...

Yes, congratulations Lesa!

I love books like this, ones you can dip into and read such interesting things - plus get suggestions for new reading.

Madeleine & I really like "The Ultimate Teen Book Guide" which - as well as telling you about lots of books and authors - also has articles on things like 'Cult Books', 'Short and Gripping Books', 'Graphic Novels', etc.

I don't suppose our libraries here will get your book, but I'll certainly investigate.

Have a good Tuesday!


Jane R said...

Very cool. Even though it was time-consuming and it took awhile before finally coming to print, it must be a thrill to see the finished product. Congratulations!

Beth Hoffman said...

You are the perfect person to give voice to the chapter on Mysteries! Congratulations, Lesa!

Carol N Wong said...

Congratulations, Lesa!!! Wonderful.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Small world, for sure! And congratulations to you on chapter 8! They couldn't have picked a better author for that section.

Lesa said...

Thank you, everyone. It was a lot of work, but gratifying even when I first submitted it. I felt as if I had used so much of my background as a mystery reader. And, then to see it in print! Those of you who are authors know what I mean. It's absolutely thrilling to hold it in my hands, after that lengthy process.

Karen C said...

Congratulations, Lesa. I think it's very special that seeing it published brought you wonderful memories.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Karen.

Genrefluent said...

Congratulations! I haven't seen a bound copy yet. Hopefully mine will arrive soon. I was so glad you were able to do the mystery chapter. It is terrific and I read it at least 4 times!