Friday, March 08, 2013

Peach Pies and Alibis by Ellery Adams

I just don't know what's happening to cozy mysteries. First, Shelia Connolly's Buried in a Bog was a meaty story. And, now Ellery Adams gives us the second book in her Charmed Pie Shoppe series, Peach Pies and Alibis. It's a magical story, closer to urban fantasy or magical realism than mystery, although it still has murders and mystery. But, it's absolutely perfect, and it left me eager to read the next book when it comes out. It's deep, and dark in spots, with references to Arthurian legends. I've always enjoyed cozy mysteries, although I've never been fond of the term. But, if this is where those books are heading, into deeper waters, we may be in for a golden age of cozies. Adams and Connolly are taking their mysteries in another direction. I'm following them.

Even the grumpiest person in Havenwood, Georgia can be changed after eating a pie at Ella Mae LeFaye's Charmed Pie Shoppe.Ella Mae is able to transfer emotions into food, affecting people's behavior. Her shop is so popular that she needs additional staff so she can branch out and provide pies for special events such as weddings. She feels lucky when an engaged couple not only asks her to provide the dessert buffet at their wedding, but one of the bridesmaids needs a job so Ella Mae has a new waitress.

Between baking pies and running the shop, catering, and trying to deal with her feelings for Hugh Dylan, who she has had a crush on for years, Ella Mae has a lot on her plate. But, she doesn't even know the extent of her own powers yet. As the strong women in the LeFaye family celebrate Ella Mae's late-blooming talent, they must also face a threat to their community. One woman has died, and as soon as the wedding is over, another becomes seriously ill. Ella Mae has to use all of her knowledge along with her culinary skill to find the person who is targeting women at the most critical time of the year for those with magical gifts.

I've been a fan of Ellery Adams' Books by the Bay mysteries. Now, with the Charmed Pie Shoppe series, she's introduced another complex character with secrets to uncover in her own life. As I said when I reviewed Pies and Prejudice, there's so much opportunity with this series. I can't wait to see where Ellery Adams takes Ella Mae LeFaye after the events of Peach Pies and Alibis.

Ellery Adams' website is http://www.elleryadamsmysteries.com

Peach Pies and Alibis by Ellery Adams. Berkley Prime Crime. 2013. ISBN 9780425251997 (paperback), 294p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - Library book





8 comments:

SandyG265 said...

I really enjoyed the first book in this series and have this one on order from the library.

I like the newer cozies that are comming out. They are more interesting to read than some of the older ones which were light on plot development.

Jane R said...

I have really enjoyed all of Ellery Adams books. But when I tried to read Pies and Prejudices a couple of weeks ago, I finally put it down. I'm not sure why it didn't appeal to me at the time but I think I'm going to give it another go. It has so many positive reviews and maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it. That sometimes happens to me.

Jake said...

Received postcard announcement which was appreciated. Looking forward to another enjoyable read.

Sue Farrell said...

I,too, like that some of the "cozies" are getting a bit meatier.

Beth Hoffman said...

I just love the cover of this book, it makes me laugh every time I see it! I have this on my list to buy for a friend who is an excellent baker and is fond of cozy mysteries.

Happy weekend to you and the kitties, Lesa!

Lesa said...

Thanks everyone! I hope you enjoy the book. We'll see what happens the second time around, Jame. Happy weekend everyone! It's going to be good weather here, so I'll enjoy running my errands tomorrow.

Meg Waite Clayton said...

Dang, but this is going to make me fat! I will think about peach pie the whole time I am reading. And I love peach pie.

Kaye Barley said...

I am just now reading the first in the series, and I'm loving it (which I knew I would! I am a huge Ellery Adams fan). And the minute I finish, I'm tickled pink I can start on this one. Yay!!!!