Monday, March 25, 2013

Chrystle Fiedler, author of The Natural Remedies Mysteries

It's a pleasure to have Chrystle Fiedler return to Lesa's Book Critiques. Fiedler is the author of the Natural Remedies Mystery series. Today, she's here to talk about her latest book, Scent to Kill, and how to use natural scents. And, if you read to the end, you'll find information about her contest. Chrystle is giving away a copy of Scent to Kill to one person who comments here.Thank you, Chrystle.

Guest Post from Chrystle Fiedler, author of Scent to Kill: A Natural Remedies Mystery.

SCENT to KILL, my latest Natural Remedies Mystery, is a fun combination of a cozy story and tips about aromatherapy, which is the practice of using essential oils to improve health and well-being. Aromatherapy can ease stress, insomnia, anxiety, depression, aches and pains, and more. Three of my favorite scents are lavender, jasmine and roses, so I thought I’d share a few simple tips on how to use them today.


Not only does Lavender (the Latin verb lavare means “to wash”) smell terrific, it’s calming and soothing and good for cuts and burns, insomnia, diaper rash, tension headache, PMS and cramps (use with clary sage and Roman chamomile). The phytochemicals (plant-based chemicals linalool and linalyl acetate) in lavender are absorbed in the skin and in the membranes inside your nose, slowing nerve impulses, and reducing stress. An easy way to start using lavender is to put five to ten drops of essential oil in your bath. Add the oil after you have filled the tub so you can enjoy the full benefits of this wonderful aroma.
The aroma of jasmine (Jasminum officinale v. grandiflorum) is intoxicatingly sweet, exotic, and floral. It’s also incredibly therapeutic for a variety of conditions. Jasmine essential oil eases mild depression, anxiety, and tension. It also balances energy and helps you feel more optimistic. It calms coughs and laryngitis, soothes sore muscles, stiffness, and sprains. You can apply it topically, use it on a warm or cool compress, put it in the bath, inhale it from your palm, or put it in your diffuser. It will make any room an oasis.

I love the rich, sweet floral bouquet of roses and the approximately 275 compounds have a myriad of therapeutic uses. For example, if you apply it topically, rose oil can help banish eczema, wrinkles, and acne. If you feel blue, rose essential oil will naturally lift your mood. If you have painful periods, it helps to balance hormones (just put the oil on a warm compress and apply to your lower abdomen). Rose oil also eases nervousness, anxiety, anger, sadness, and grief and can be helpful if you have respiratory problems such as allergies and hay fever. You also use rose oil to help you sleep better and feel happier. For all these conditions, simply put some on your palm and inhale it or put rose essential oil into a diffuser. Your bedroom will smell like an English garden.

Here’s the scoop on Scent to Kill: A Natural Remedies Mystery

“Scent to Kill is a well-crafted mystery…Devotees of natural medicine and aromatherapy will enjoy the tips that appear at the beginning of each chapter and scattered throughout the text.” Publisher’s Weekly   

Willow McQuade, naturopathic doctor, along with her hunky ex-cop boyfriend Jackson Spade, attend a party for a psychic TV show that is filming on Long Island’s idyllic East End. However, Willow is much more interested in visiting the estate’s lavender farm, seeking inspiration for the new aromatherapy workshops she'll be holding at her store, Nature’s Way Market & Café.   

Before the party is over, Roger Bixby one of the producers is dead and the police suspect murder. Roger was working on the show, MJ’s Mind, with Carly Bixby, his ex-wife and the new girlfriend of Willow's ex from L.A., TV writer/producer Simon Lewis.   

After Willow leaves the party, she gets a frantic text from Simon asking for her help. Since Simon had a fight with Roger earlier in the evening, and because of his death is now the primary shareholder in Galaxy films, Willow's ex becomes the prime suspect. Simon begs her to crack the case and clear him of the murder. MJ McClellan, the psychic and star of the show also asks Willow for help. She hires Willow to provide natural remedies, including aromatherapy, massage, acupuncture and yoga to soothe the agitated crew of her show. 

To find the killer, Willow has to deal with ghosts in a haunted mansion, a truly dysfunctional family, death threats and “accidents,” while trying to untangle a homicide identical to one committed during prohibition. Thankfully, Jackson has been hired to provide security and is there to watch her back and help Willow solve this spooky mystery.

As a bonus, you’ll find dozens of natural aromatherapy cures throughout the book that can improve your health. I think you’ll be surprised as how much they can help you feel better in mind, body and spirit!

For a chance to win a copy of Scent to Kill: A Natural Remedies Mystery just leave a comment here! 


Chrystle Fiedler is the author of SCENT TO KILL, (Gallery Books/Simon & Schuster) the second in the NATURAL REMEDIES MYSTERY series, DEATH DROPS: A Natural Remedies Mystery, the non-fiction title THE COMPLETE IDIOT'S GUIDE TO NATURAL REMEDIES (Alpha, 2009), co-author of BEAT SUGAR ADDICTION NOW! (Fairwinds Press, 2010), currently in its fourth printing, the BEAT SUGAR ADDICTION NOW!COOKBOOK (Fairwinds Press, 2012) and THE COUNTRY ALMANAC OF HOME REMEDIES (Fairwinds, 2011). Chrystle’s magazine articles featuring natural remedies have appeared in many national publications including Natural Health, Vegetarian Times, Better Homes & Gardens and Remedy. Visit


Liz said...

Need that aromatherapy in books. Snowing today so outdoor therapy must wait.

Lesa said...

I understand, Liz. It's snowing here today, too, but luckily it's not sticking.

SandyG265 said...

Sounds like an interesting book. So far just snow fluries here.

Joyce Delaney said...

This sounds like an interesting premise for a mystery book. I'm a fan of lavender, both the color and the scent. Bedtime isn't the same without it.

traveler said...

I enjoyed learning about the book and the interesting remedies. thanks for this informative post.

Chrystle Fiedler said...

Thanks Lesa for having me "over"! Thanks to everyone for stopping by!

Aromatherapy is very comforting when snow is flying or when it's sunny. You can tuck a bottle of your favorite essential oil in your pocketbook and take it with you!

Joyce - lavender is my favorite too. It does help to relieve stress and help you sleep too!

I'm in the Northeast and I thought that we might get snow the other day but just a few flakes. Just overcast today.

Writing to you from my couch with my two dachshunds - one of which is Wallander in the picture - a rescue from All American Dachshund Rescue by my side! Stay cozy!

Angela said...

Educational as well as entertaining, nice combination.

petite said...

Lavender has always been a favorite scent and now I know even more which is helpful. Your mystery is unique and special.

Charlotte said...

Must sign up for this wonderful book, now if I could only win.

Karen B said...

Your book sounds wonderful - even if I'm alleric to many scents! A history teacher back in the 50s used to water his many geranium plants during the last 15 minutes of class. Many times I left that class with a headache and swollen eyes. I still avoid them!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads-up on this series, Lesa!

Chrystle, I wondered if you use plants also (in the book, and in real life) or if you stick to the standardized versions available in essential oils for your aromatherapy techniques.

I just love lavender and have grown it for years, and am hoping to branch out into jasmine soon. Any idea where I can find the plant - local nurseries, or is it a specialty item?


samantha35 said...

Loved the first book in the series! cant wait to read this one

follow via gfc

Chrystle Fiedler said...

Thanks petite! That is very sweet of you to say!

Karen - the good thing about aromatherapy is you can experiment to find what you like best!

Thanks for entering Charlotte!

Thanks so much Samantha! I'm glad you enjoyed Death Drops!

As for essential oils Lynne I get them from Floracopia. They are pure and not too expensive. The White Flower Farm is very good and has a wide range of plants.

In the next natural remedies mystery The Garden of Death, I'll be focusing on plants you can grow and use medicinally.

Thanks again for stopping by and leaving comments! It means A LOT to me! Keep posting! I'll announce the winnner Tuesday! Thanks! Chrystle

Nancy said...

Your book sounds great! And I love those scents! I hope I win your book

Karen C said...

I can always count on Lesa to introduce me to an author I have not read before and will be sure to enjoy! We don't use too many scents in our home because we all have allergy issues - I'm seeing an allergist later this week. Would love to learn more about essential oils and how I benefit from them. I'm also looking forward to catching up with this series!

Libby Dodd said...

I'm an oddity: I don't like the sent of lavender. ( I like to look at beautiful pictures of lavender fields, however.) I DO love jasmine and rose. Too bad quality rose oil is so expensive.

Jane R said...

This sounds like a terrific series. I'm still a novice when it comes to aromatherapy and natural therapies. But I think the subject is so interesting. When it's wrapped into a mystery, it sounds like a great book to spend the afternoon with. Thanks so much for the introduction!

Kathy said...

I'm an aromatherapy and mystery fan. Would love to win.

Chrystle Fiedler said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by! I'm very grateful to Lesa for introducing my series to you. Congrats to Nancy! You have won a copy of SCENT to KILL: A Natural Remedies Mystery! Please e-mail your street address to me at If you are interested you can sign up for my e-newsletter there too. Thanks again for having me! Peace, Chrystle ps I'll be hosting a giveaway at Cozy Chicks Wed!

Fricka said...

I enjoyed reading Death Drops, Chrystle, and was impressed to find that you have also written a non-fiction book on aromatherapy. Looking forward to reading another book featuring Willow!:-)

Lesa said...

Congratulations to Nancy. Thanks, everyone for your comments. And, those of you who still want to win a copy of the book might want to check out Cozy Chicks on Wednesday. Thanks, again, Chrystle!

Sue said...

I'm always tense---think I'll get some lavendar and put a couple drops on my pillow to help me relax a bed time.
I love to win this book.

Anonymous said...

This looks like a great read. I love natural remedies!

Ingrid King said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the first book in this series, and I'm looking forward to this one.

holdenj said...

Thanks for the great intro to this series. I love delving into aromatherapy.