Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Becky Masterman, Guest Blogger

It's a pleasure to introduce you to a debut author, Becky Masterman. Becky and I have a couple things in common, Florida and Arizona. She lived and worked in Florida until marriage and her husband's retirement took them to Arizona. That doesn't mean she retired as well. Instead she turned to writing. Rage Against the Dying, her debut thriller, is released today. She's had a busy week since she just appeared at the Tucson Festival of Books this past weekend. She may have attended before, but she didn't participate as an author. It's my pleasure to introduce you to Becky Masterman, and allow her to write a guest post. Thank you, Becky.


Thank you for allowing me to use this blog to state, emphatically, that I am not Brigid Quinn.  I am Becky Masterman, the author of a thriller about an older woman who has seen too much of the criminal world during her career as an undercover FBI special agent.   She can fight off a young male attacker, has to watch her drinking, and has some anger management issues.  Hardly what you’d expect in a woman of a certain age?  Fantastical, even?  Well, she’s certainly not me.  

I chose the name Brigid Quinn because it made me think of Rigid Quill, and that has a tough and strong sound to it, if also slightly phallic, but that’s a coincidence.  It’s also a coincidence that our first names start with a “B” so sometimes when my agent Helen Heller talks about a plot point she’ll say, “And then when Becky kills the guy, I mean Brigid. . .”  

My own agent confuses me with my character, for pete’s sake.  I’ve tried to tell her I’m really timid, a wuss, a sheep in wolf’s clothing, but she won’t believe me.   

So I say it again, I am not Brigid Quinn.  But here comes my debut novel: Rage Against the Dying.  I’m sure you already know that the title comes from a poem that goes “Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage, against the dying of the light.”  Maybe that’s where I’m like my character.  I’m not as aggressive as Brigid is, but she and I are both going to keep living, righting wrongs, spending all our love.  

Becky Masterman's website is www.beckymasterman.com

Rage Against the Dying by Becky Masterman. Minotaur Books. 2013. ISBN 9780312622947 (hardcover), 320p.


Janet C said...

My copy should come today. It's one I've really been looking forward to reading. I've read so many good things about this book.

Lesa said...

I'm reading it right now, Janet, and I really like Brigid. Review tomorrow! I promise no spoilers.

Beth Hoffman said...

Oh my ... I am adding this book to my list immediately!

Karen C said...

Went to the website for the book blurb and it sounds great - on the list!

Lesa said...

Thriller, everyone, remember that! Fascinating thriller, though. Brigid is so different as a character.

georgestailoringlv said...

Hey very nice blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also...

Custom Tailoring