Monday, October 08, 2012

Anthony Award Winners

This year, since I attended Bouchercon, I voted on the Anthony Awards, and attended the award ceremony on Saturday night. I'm a few days late mentioning the winners, but I wanted to share here.

In the order announced, the winners were:

Best Critical Nonfiction Work - The Sookie Stackhouse Companion by Charlaine Harris, ed.


Best Short Story - "Disarming" by Dana Cameron, Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, June 2011

Best Paperback Original - Buffalo West Wing by Julie Hyzy

Best First Mystery - Learning to Swim by Sara J. Henry

Best Mystery Novel - A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny

Congratulations to all of the winners, but I'm sending hugs to Julie Hyzy and Louise Penny. I finally met Julie the day before she received her Anthony. And, she was so thrilled to win the award with her husband in the audience. Julie is just wonderful. I've read and reviewed her books for years, but never had the chance to meet her. Congratulations! And, of course, congratulations to Louise Penny. A Trick of the Light was my favorite book of 2011, so I was pleased to see it win Best Mystery Novel.



Julie Hyzy said...

Big hugs right back, Lesa! I am so happy we finally met. Being able to connect in person is truly, truly one of the highlights of this Bouchercon for me! Thank you so much for all you do. You are loved, but I bet you already know that!

Lesa said...

Thank you so much, Julie. Your note brought tears to my eyes, and I couldn't finish reading it to my mother without choking up. You don't know how much I needed all that love from the mystery community right now. Thank you!

Sandie Herron said...

I'm so glad you posted these awards Lesa because I hadn't seen them anywhere else, or at least the others were incomplete.

Julie - congratulations!!! I'm so thrilled all those paperback goodies you write are finally recognized to be as good as they certainly are.

Louise - I know you are a favorite of Lesa's, so I'm so glad you won when she was in attendance. I have amassed all your books now so I can start reading. I've been told over and over to read them in order, so this is what I'll do. Congratulations!!

Lesa - you are so loved by so many of us, whether we've met face to face or not. We've chatted before that a friendship in virtual space is no less a friendship. Enjoy your vacation. Rest and relax as much as you can.


PS Could you please call maintenance again and ask them to get this elevator going?

Lesa said...

Oh, you're welcome, Sandie. I can't believe they haven't been posted, since I'm late doing it. Usually I would have posted immediately.

(Give me a couple days on that maintenance.)

Jane R said...

Thanks for the list, Lesa. I've already requested a couple of titles from my local branch library. That book list of mine just keeps growing. Thanks!!

Lesa said...

My pleasure to make that book list of yours larger, Jane! I hope you enjoy the books!