Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Out of Control

If I look a little frazzled lately it's because my life is a little out of control at the moment. I'm blaming work. We're working on a major project, and I love it, but it's taking a lot of time. I even went to work for four hours on Sunday. I worked on it for four hours this morning. But, things started going off track when I went into work on the 4th of July. I spent the entire day there, 7:30 to 5:30. It rained that day, and just before noon our brand new roof sprung leaks - leaks all over the place. We're still living with fans and dehumidifiers throughout the building. In the meantime, I've been losing lots of reading time. Today, I took twenty minutes for lunch, and ate it while reading my work email.

This is just to say I'm falling behind on my reading. I had an ambitious schedule for July since there are so many appealing books on my shelf. Lou Berney's new book, Whiplash River, was released today, and I haven't finished it. Today, I'll share the promo video for it.

My week isn't going to get much better, although it's going to be fun. Thursday night, I'm going to the Poisoned Pen to see Linda Fairstein and Joseph Kanon. Friday, I'm spending the entire day at Poisoned Pen's annual conference at the Arizona Biltmore. And, Sunday afternoon I'm off to the Phoenix Art Museum with a couple friends to see the film "Frankenstein" with Benedict Cumberbatch.

I'll keep you posted. If I don't post every day, a few family members and friends worry about me. But, there might not be a book review every day right now. A couple nights lately, I just came home and crashed. (Not as bad as the co-worker who teamed up with me on Friday, though. She went home at 6 p.m., went right to bed, and slept until 8 a.m. the next day. It's a fun project, but it takes a lot out of you.)

So, in the meantime, here's the promo for Lou Berney's Whiplash River (William Morrow)..

21 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I know the feeling! With so much going on, don't stress over the blog right now. We'll be here when you are!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Kathy. I won't stress over it, but I know my family worries if nothing appeared. They think something happened to me. (smile) I know how much they love me that they worry.

Carol N Wong said...

Oh my! Sending hopes for better times! We are selling our house and accepted an offer. After the inspection, the buyer wanted a brand new roof. Our house was built in 1989 and we have never had a leak. I called for our insurance adjuster and he inspected it. It is in very good shape!!! Anyway, the buyer is gone now and I feel much better!

I have been through projects at work before I retired that were huge. Started carpal tunnel after being on the computer so much. We even worked while eating out lunch it was awful. It got done finally.

Take care,

Carol

Nancy said...

Well, hopefully you'll find a good balance soon. It's great that you have social events planned for fun.

Joe Barone said...

Some things come up. You'll get back to the books when you have time.

Joyce Delaney said...

Looking at the Lou Berney promo - very clever, by the way- reminds me that we're supposed to try and live in the moment. And that's what you're doing, so enjoy it.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Everyone!

I'll have reviews posted when I get a chance.

Inside A Book said...

Hang in there!!! Thank heavens you were at work on the 4th! Roof leaks are the pits...water and paper ...yikes!

I hope to see you at the PP conference. Consider it a little bit of time for yourself!

Kay said...

Oh, Lesa! Just take really good care of yourself in the midst of such chaos! Remember to take time to do special things to bring joy & relaxation. Advice I'm trying to remember here as well, as I'm currently not finding much reading time either, not as much as I'd like anyway. Will look forward to reading your wonderful blogs when you are able to get back to them.

Lesa said...

Great! Looking forward to seeing you at the conference, Gaye. Thank you. I hate dealing with the roof issue. It goes on, and on, and on...

Lesa said...

Thanks, Kay.

You're right. I am taking time for myself. Just feels a little harried right now. My mother said that picture doesn't look like me, though.

Bev Stephans said...

Lesa, Tell your mom that the picture represents all 'harried women'!

Hang in there. It'll get better!

Karen C said...

At least it's a project that is fun and interesting!! I am so envious that you are going to see Linda Fairstein! I love her Alex Cooper books. Enjoy!!

Lesa said...

I know it does, Bev. I told her the train wreck pictures were too realistic! It will get better. And, at least I did a good job telling the story of the roof leak today in a meeting.

Lesa said...

I'm looking forward to seeing Linda again, Karen. It should be a good evening.

Rosemary said...

Lesa, I have always been amazed at how you do so much. As everyone else has said - RELAX! We all love your posts, but I am not even working and I still don't get in here every single day to even read them!

If you dropped down to one or two posts a week, I am sure we would all still visit regularly - there is no point in doing something if it becomes a burden.

Enjoy your social events - and good luck with the roof. We have had torrential rain here for weeks, many people have flooding (not us - so far - thank goodness) - and we were supposed to be going camping next week! Now trying to find a nice hotel with lots of nearby - indoor - things to do!

Best wishes

Rosemary

Anonymous said...

New roof leaking? The architect wasn't the one my husband dubbed "Leaky Larry" was he?

Anon for now...

Lesa said...

Thanks, Rosemary. Oh, I wouldn't ever want to go to a couple days a week. It wouldn't be as much fun. But, I might have to give up a day or two in the next couple weeks.

Lesa said...

No, I'm sure it wasn't "Leaky Larry". (smile) Actually, I've been pleased with how they're taking care of it afterward.

RV Roof Leaks Repair said...

That is really awesome and very interesting post i like your post its amazing thanks for sharing that stuff with us.

EPDM Roof Coatings said...

I was browsing from since morning in search of music notes in that search sudden i got your post its really nice and interesting also.