Saturday, July 07, 2012

Crime Montage by Patricia L. Morin

There's no fiction work more difficult to review than a story collection. If a story is only five to ten pages,  how can you say much about it without revealing the entire story? Patricia L. Morin's second crime collection is called Crime Montage. Morin has degrees in psychology and social work, and she brings her knowledge and observations about human behavior to this diverse anthology.

There's something for everyone in these stories. Interested in a funny short story written as a poem? Try "Cold Pizza, Warm Beer". "Daughter Mine" includes one of the most hateful characters I've ever met in a story. Each reader can decide if that hateful person is the mother or the daughter. "Fish Story" won honorable mention in a contest at Spinetingler, the online crime magazine. A fisherman gets his comeuppance in this entertaining story. "Going Home" is an historical story relating to a ship carrying Jews away from Nazi Germany. There's quite an unusual twist in this one. My favorite story was "Shattered Silence". It's about a deaf-mute and a horse who witness a murder.

Morin added a special feature, one that I appreciated. Her introduction included a list of all the stories, along with comments as to the inspiration for all of them. That's for everyone who asks, "Where do you get your ideas?" I found myself flipping back as I read each story to see where Morin's idea came from.

Patricia L. Morin's Crime Montage is entertaining and thought-provoking. If you're a fan of crime short stories, some of these characters and scenarios will stick with you. And, in a couple weeks, everyone who enjoys story collections will have a chance to win a copy of Crime Montage when I'll be giving away multiple copies of this intriguing anthology of crime.

Patricia L. Morin's website is

Crime Montage by Patricia L. Morin. Top Publications, Ltd. 2011. ISBN 9781929976935 (paperback), 199p.

FTC Full Disclosure - The author sent me a copy of the book, hoping I would review it.


Nancy said...

I'm curious about the horse who witnessed a murder! And all the other stories, of course.

Karen C said...

This sounds like a really good read - I love crime stories. Definitely adding to the list!

Bette Golden Lamb said...

I've these stories, and they very good. My favorite is THE WEB. Well written and off-beat. My kind of story.

Patricia L. Morin said...

Nancy, the horse in the story is a brown draft horse, a big guy named Buddy.

Karen, thank you for putting my book on your list.

Bette, so glad you liked The Web.

Lesa, thanks for reviewing my book!!!!!

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Patricia! And, I'm glad others chimed in. As I said, I'll be giving away copies in a couple weeks.