Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Ray Bradbury, R.I.P.

We've lost one of our literary lions. Ray Bradbury died yesterday at 91. To me, that's young for a creative genius whose words still inspire readers.

And, of course, he inspires librarians. Every one of us recognizes the book burners, the censors in Farenheit 451. He valued public libraries. He wrote a 1971 essay, "How Instead of Being Educated in College, I was Graduated From Libraries." And, he put his time, his letters, and his fund-raising efforts behind the effort to keep the library doors open in Southern California.

He was the author of a wonderful book that became one of my favorite movies, "Something Wicked This Way Comes." I read so many of his collections, but the story that has always lingered with me is "A Sound of Thunder," a time travel story of a man who changed the course of the human history, through an accident. (To reveal what happened would be a spoiler for those who never read this remarkable work.)

The New York Times article, "Ray Bradbury, Master of Science Fiction, Dies at 91", was written by Gerald Jonas. Here's the link,

For me, I just want to say thank you, and, R.I.P. Mr. Bradbury. We'll miss you.


Bev Stephans said...

When I was a teenager, I read a lot of science fiction. Ray Bradbury was one of my favorite sci-fi authors. The short story that resonates most with me is, "All Summer in a Day". I have re-read it several times over the space of my life. I also enjoyed, "The Martian Chronicles" and "Something Wicked This Way Comes". Mr. Bradbury had a long and fruitful life. He will be sorely missed.

Lesa said...

Bev, I know librarians who say Ray Bradbury brought them to reading. And, so many people read and appreciated his books. Thank you for sharing your memories here.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I was so sorry to hear this news. I remember the first story I read by fact, I think it was my first short story as a reader. "All Summer in a Day." Quick and chilling!

Lesa said...


I find it just amazing that so many of us can remember the first of his stories that we read, or a story that moved us. It just shows how powerful his writing was.

Julie Hyzy said...

Ray Bradbury's stories carried me through the end of 8th grade through high school onward. I love so many of them - "The Lake," "The Dwarf," "The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl," "The Crowd," "The Veldt," oh my gosh I can go on and on. Of course I loved SOMETHING WICKED, and FAHRENHEIT 451. I wrote him a heartfelt fan letter some years ago and he called me at home to thank me. Ray Bradbury called me. I loved that man. I was on the road yesterday and actually mentioned him in an interview, not knowing that he'd died. My kids texted me as soon as the news was out. They knew how much he meant to me. Interestingly... on the way home, we passed through Waukegan, his birthplace. Sigh... fitting, I think.