Saturday, June 02, 2012

July's Hot Titles

I had a terrific collection of July books in the treasures in my closet. Now, it's time to share some hot titles that are due out in July. Naturally, most of them are crime novels, with a few others mentioned.

Now that Lorna Barret's Booktown mysteries come out in hardcover, I don't get them from the publisher. So her titles no longer appear on my book chat or in the Treasures in My Closet post.  Murder on the Half Shelf is the latest featuring bookshop owner Tricia Miles. Tricia planned a nice relaxing night at Pippa and Jon Comfort's Sheer Comfort Inn until she found Pippa's body in the backyard. When Jon is charged with her murder, Tricia sets out to prove he's innocent.

I'll admit I seldom read literary novels, but I know Chris Bohjalian is a favorite of some of my coworkers. His novel, Sandcastle Girls, tells of a young woman who goes to Syria in 1915. She's a volunteer delivering food and medical supplies to refugees of the Armenian genocide. That's where she falls in love with a widower. In present day America, when a novelist examines her Armenian heritage, she discovers a wrenching secret.

Dave Robicheaux is back in James Lee Burke's Creole Belle. Tee Jolie Melton, a Creole girl, visited Robicheaux in the recovery unit in New Orleans, leaving him an iPod with a song on it. Then she disappeared. Dave becomes obsessed with the song, "Creole Belle", and goes looking for Tee Jolie.

Kaitlyn Dunnett's Lisa MacCrimmon Scottish Mysteries are just fun. Bagpipes, Brides and Homicides finds Lisa and her fiance planning to marry in a Scottish-themed wedding at the annual Western Maine Highland Games. A reenactment group also plans to be their own agenda. Lisa's wedding is interrupted when a re-enactor is found dead, and her father is charged with the murder.

I love the cover of Linda Fairstein's new book, Night Watch. Alexandra Cooper loves New York City food and its wide variety of restaurants. But even the most dazzling dining establishment might hide something unsavory, especially when the wealthy and powerful congregate alongside cops and criminals. Now, Alex is uncovering centuries-old secrets.

Mick "Scorcher" Kennedy and his Murder Squad detectives have their biggest case of the year in Tana French's Broken Harbor. Patrick Spain and his two children are found dead, and his wife is injured so badly she's in intensive care. Many things don't add up in the case that becomes personal for Scorcher when news coverage causes his sister to remember a summer from their childhood.

15 Seconds is Andrew Gross' latest thriller. It only takes fifteen seconds for Dr. Henry Steadman's happy life to be turned upside down. He was on his way to a medical convention when a policeman stopped him for a minor traffic violation. When the cop was shot by a man in a car that sped away, Henry becomes the prime suspect and the target of a manhunt.

In Steve Hamilton's Die a Stranger, five bodies are found outside a plane at an Upper Peninsula airstrip. The evidence suggests that Alex McKnight's Ojibwa friend, Vinnie, might be involved. Vinnie is missing, and Alex is sure he wasn't involved, but while hunting for him, he realizes the stakes are much higher than he thought.

Shadow of Night, the second book in Deborah E. Harkness' All Souls Trilogy, is the sequel to the bestseller, A Discovery of Witches. It picks up where the other book left off. Diana and Matthew are plunged into Elizabethan London and a world of subterfuge, spies, and the mysterious School of Night.

Iris Johansen teams up with her son, Roy Johansen, for Close Your Eyes. Kendra was blind for the first twenty years of her life, so she perfected the art of picking up subtle audio, olfactory, and tactile clues around her. That's why she's now teamed up with an FBI agent to find another missing agent who happens to be her ex.

Special Agent Maggie O'Dell returns in Alex Kava's Fireproof. A the n arsonist is at work in D.C., and until now he only caused property damage. But the latest fire reveals a body. Maggie disagrees with the profilers' description of the arsonist, but she doesn't know he may be closer than she thinks.

In Dean Koontz' latest Odd Thomas novel, Odd Apocalypse, Odd Thomas, Annamaria, Blossom, his real dog, Raphael, and his ghost dog, Boo, hide out from their pursuers. Their shelter is a decaying estate that once belonged to a legendary film director. They find it's a place of terrible secrets.

Detective Michael Bennett's plans don't work out as he hoped in I, Michael Bennett by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge. He's been ordered to track down a crime lord who has been terrorizing New York, killing policemen and judges. Bennett takes his ten children and their nanny out of the chaos, but the master criminal is determined to track down the family.

Daniel Silva's Fallen Angel brings back Gabriel Allan, an international operative. He finds himself in Rome, searching for evil in that beautiful, but deadly, city.

Present-day Atlanta is the setting for Karin Slaughter's Criminal. When a crime from 1975 echoes through the city, the agents of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation tackle it with determination. Agent Will Trent finds that the case threatens his new life, both personally and professionally, and changes everything he thought he knew about his past.

Black List is Brad Thor's latest thriller featuring former Navy SEAL Team 6 member turned counterterrorism expert Scott Harvath. A deadly list deep inside the U.S. government contains names that no one gets to see except the president. Once your name is added to the list, it doesn't come off until you're dead. Now that Harvath's name has been added, he's being tracked by teams dispatched to kill him.

The last book is not a crime novel. It's Jennifer Weiner's Next Best Thing. When Ruth was twenty-three, she headed west with her grandmother in tow, hoping to get hired as a television writer. Now, four years later, she's celebrating the pending release of her first sitcom. Threats to its success? Try demanding actors, number-crunching executives, a crush on her boss, and her grandmother's planned wedding.

Between yesterday's Treasures in My Closet post, and today's list, I hope you find a book or two for your July reading. And, let me know what I might have missed!


Beth Hoffman said...

You certainly have some hot titles there, Lesa! Many of the authors I'm not familiar with, so it will be fun to add their books to my list.

Happy weekend to you and the kitties! xo

Bev Stephans said...

I'm looking forward to Deborah Harkness', Shadow of Night. I enjoyed her first book so much. I'm also looking forward to the new James Lee Burke's, Dave Robicheaux novel. Last, but not least, the new Daniel Silva, Gabriel Allon book. This should make my TBR pile happy! LOL!

Ingrid King said...

I just finished reading an advance copy of Lorna Barrett's latest, and it's just as wonderful as all the others. I'm also looking forward to Jennifer Weiner's new book - if the cover is any indication, it'll be a great summer read!

Lesa said...

Oh, thank you, Beth! I hope you enjoy some of the books. Hugs back! Didn't read this until 6 p.m. Hope you have a good rest of the weekend!

Lesa said...

Isn't it a terrific list, Bev. It's going to be a good month of reading!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Ingrid for the update on Lorna Barrett's book. I appreciate it! I expected it to be good.

FABR Steph said...

I adore a good cozy and will be reading Murder on a Half Shelf for sure.

Jane R said...

Great list of books. I'm looking forward to several of them, including Murder on the Half Shelf and Night Watch. I hope my family doesn't mind a few dinners that will require a little foraging on their part! I might just be too busy reading! Thanks for the list!

caite said...

oh my, one of my fav authors of all time, Karin Slaughter, has a new book coming out?? But July? I must get a copy..I NOW!

If you should read this Ms. Slaughter, take pity on me, please. :-)

Lesa said...

I'm afraid I don't have a copy of Karin Slaughter's book, Caite. That's why it's in Hot Titles, not in Treasures in My Closet. In this post, I'm just giving a heads-up as to what is coming out. I'm sorry! I don't own it.

Lori's Reading Corner said...

I finished up Lorna's book Sunday night and loved it!

15 Seconds by Andrew Gross was fantastic. I'm a huge fan of is.

I'm looking forward to the new Patterson/Ledwidge book. My interest in Patterson's books has waned, but I love this series!

caite said...

Lesa, I am still waiting for Ms. Slaughter to read this and take pity on me!

Lesa said...

Well, good luck with THAT, Caite. (grin)