Thursday, May 10, 2012

Victoria Hamilton, Guest Blogger

I'd like to welcome guest blogger, Victoria Hamilton, to Lesa's Book Critiques. Victoria just launched a new mystery series, the Vintage Kitchen mysteries, with A Deadly Grind. Victoria is going to allow one of her characters, Rebecca Leighton Burke to tell us about the book. Thank you, Victoria and Rebecca.

My Sister the Junkie
By: Rebecca Leighton Burke

My sister, Jaymie Leighton, is a junkie. I love her so much, but how do I confront her about it? How do you break someone of a bad habit? I swear, I can’t even get in the house anymore without seeing the stuff everywhere. Her habit started small, but the dealers saw her coming, and were real persuasive.

“C’mon, Jaymie,” they’d whisper, showing her their wares. “You need this, you know you do! Why else did you come here?”

Oh, at first it was just a bowl or a spoon, but now she’s gone berserk. Now she can’t pass a garage sale or flea market without wondering if they have some Depression glass, or Pyrex, or some old kitchen utensils.

Jaymie collects vintage junk. Why… what did you think I meant when I said my sister was a junkie?

She prefers to call herself a ‘vintage collector’. Jaymie collects vintage anything for the kitchen. So now the house we share ownership of in Queensville Michigan is cluttered to the rafters with old bowls, vintage tins, kitchen utensils, cookbooks, vintage table linens and aprons… junk!

She thinks I should understand because I’m a china matcher by trade. I buy used, vintage and antique china and silver and sell it to clients looking to match their family china pattern. Maybe they’ve broken the gravy boat to their old Crown Derby set, or need some serving pieces to go with their Minton, or even want to expand their place settings.

But everything I buy, I sell. And it has to be mint. Jaymie seems to love rust. And a chip doesn’t put her off a bowl. She ‘rescues’ them, turning the chipped side to the wall. We just don’t see eye to eye, and I don’t know where it’s going to stop. There is so much stuff in the kitchen now it’s bewildering to the eye. She says it’s a display, but I say it’s a mass of confusion. If she doesn’t stop soon, I’m going to turn her in to that TV show, Hoarders.

Luckily I don’t actually live in the Queensville house, I just visit every other weekend or so. I have my own home north of the border in London, Ontario, Canada, where our Grandma Leighton lives. If Jaymie and I actually shared a house, there might be a murder one day. Oops! I hope I didn’t just jinx us. That wasn’t bad luck to say, right? I hope not.

Anyway, what would you do if your sister was a junkie?


Meet the Author
Victoria Hamilton is the new incarnation of a nationally bestselling romance author. She now happily writes about vintage kitchen collecting and dead bodies for Berkley Prime Crime in the Vintage Kitchen Mysteries and, soon-to-be-announced, another cozy series. Besides writing about murder and mayhem and blogging at Killer Characters, Victoria loves collecting vintage kitchen wares and old cookbooks, as well as teapots and teacups. Visit Victoria at: to read an excerpt and for online availability of her books!

Twitter: @MysteryVictoria

A Deadly Grind by Victoria Hamilton. Berkley Prime Crime. 2012. ISBN 9780425248010 (paperback), 304p.

No comments: