Monday, April 02, 2012

May's Hot Titles

Yesterday it was Treasures in My Closet. Now, here are the May titles I suspect will be hot. They might not all make the bestseller lists, but they'll probably be in high demand.

Let's start with Robert B. Parker's Lullaby, the first Spenser novel since Parker's death. Ace Atkins is taking over the reins, and I have it on good authority (Jen Forbus), that he succeeds. Fourteen-year-old Mattie asks Spenser to investigate her mother's murder four years earlier since she thinks the original investigation was botched. Mattie convinces Spenser to take the case despite his doubts, and he learns Mattie might be right.

The Columbus Affair is Steve Berry's latest thriller. Disgraced journalist sets out to save his daughter from a ruthless zealot, only to find a treasure that will change everything we know about Christopher Columbus.

Rumors are that Charlaine Harris' Deadlocked will be the last Sookie Stackhouse novel. Eric Northamn needs help from Sookie to solve the death of a woman whose body was found in his front yard. He insists she was still alive after he drank her blood. Sookie learns that the dead woman's fate has just as much to do with her as it does Eric.

I'm looking forward to the latest book from Mary Alice Monroe, Beach House Memories. "Lovie" Rutledge looks back at her life, particularly the summer when she was 39. She left her unappreciative husband and brought her children to her beach house. The affair she had that summer resulted in devastating consequences.

And, of course there's a James Patterson release. (What month isn't there a novel by Patterson?) He joins forces with Maxine Paetro for 11th Hour, the latest Women's Murder Club book. Detective Lindsay Boxer is trying to solve the case of a murdered millionaire, discover who two headless bodies are that are found in a famous actor's garden, and find out why a reporter is trying to destroy her.

Many of you may not have heard of one of my favorite authors, Jeanne Ray.  (She's Ann Patchett's mother.)  Ray's latest novel is Calling Invisible Women. At fifty, Clover feels unappreciated. Then one morning, she wakes up to discover she's invisible. And, she discovers there are other women like her who were "invisible" even before they were invisible.

John Sandford's Stolen Prey takes Lucas Davenport into one of the darkest nightmares of his life as he investigates the slaying of an entire family. (Warning to dog lovers - you might not be happy with this crime scene).

On a slightly lighter note, I'll end with Elaine Viets' latest Dead-End Job mystery, Final Sail. Helen Hawthorne and Phil Sagemont usually work as a PI team, but Helen's latest job takes her aboard a yacht, working undercover as a stewardess while trying to catch a jewel smuggler.

Women's fiction, thrillers, lighter mysteries. There might be a book here to meet your fiction reading tastes. Anything I missed for May that you're waiting to read?


Kay said...

Good ones here. I still follow along with the Women's Murder Club series by Patterson. It's like an addiction. LOL

I just read BEACH HOUSE by Mary Alice Monroe and am looking forward to reading this companion book - not really a prequel or a sequel is it?

And a new Jeanne Ray? Lovely. The first one of hers that I read years ago, JULIE AND ROMEO, made me laugh so hard.

Lesa said...

I quit the Women's Murder Club after about the 4th book when he killed off one of the lead characters.

I don't know if it's a prequel or sequel. Nothing was said where I read it.

I thought those books were so funny. That's why I'm looking forward to the new Jeanne Ray, too, Kay.

Joe Barone said...

No. I'm not going to go there with Ace Atkins. I would just as soon have Spenser, Susan, and Hawk die with Parker.

CindyD said...

I didn't know Ray was Patchett's mother (one of my book groups is reading STATE OF WONDER this month)!
Top of my May list is Craig Johnson's new book.

Karen C said...

Sounds like some good reads coming!!

Lesa said...

I'm not sure either, Joe, although I heard it was good. I'll have to see. I loved Parker's Spenser.

Cindy, Yes, Patchett is Ray's daughter. Thanks! Missed Craig Johnson's.

It does sound like a good month, doesn't it, Karen.

Kaye Barley said...

Can't wait to read the new Craig Johnson, and yes, I plan on reading Ace Atkins' Spenser. I have mixed feelings about this, but I'm going to give it a try. Also looking forward to reading Beach House Memories.

Lesa said...

I'm with you, Kaye. Mixed feelings about going on with Spenser.

Les said...

Lots of good books coming out this spring! I love Jeanne Ray and was wondering if she was ever going to publish anything new. My favorites of hers are Step.Ball.Change and Julie and Romeo. I'll bet her new one is just a funny and entertaining as these two.

Need to catch up on my Lucas Davenport series. I'm about 2/3s of the way through.

Lesa said...

I'm a Jeanne Ray fan as well, Les. Julie and Romeo was my favorite, too. Like you, I liked Step Ball Change as well. Looking forward to it!