Saturday, February 04, 2012

We interrupt this broadcast...

I don't think I've missed a day blogging, even when Jim died. But, I need to take a few days off. I have a deadline on a project that should have been completed eighteen months ago.

I'm part of a team working on the next edition of Genreflecting, a reference book that covers popular fiction genres. I'm writing the chapter about mysteries. And, that's the problem. I wrote my chapter, and submitted it eighteen months ago for the August 2010 deadline. (If I could make that deadline the year my husband died, why couldn't other people?) Some of the people responsible for their chapters didn't get them done. Now, we have new editors, and there is a new deadline of Feb. 15th. That actually means I am entirely rewriting everything I did two years ago. If you're a mystery writer, you'll understand. How many books have you written in the last two years? I have to completely rewrite every entry I wrote, bringing them up-to-date.

That Feb. 15th deadline might sound as if it's far away, but I'll be in LA for three days next week, so I need to finish writing this chapter (40-50 pages) so I can get it to my final reader before I submit it.

I'm taking a few days off to finish, and, of course, I need to find time to finish a book or two to review. But, my priority is that chapter.

Please stop back and check on the blog. I'll be back here as soon as I can next week. In the meantime, maybe you can backtrack and read some of the posts you missed.

Or, here are three of my favorite blogs, if you'd like to read about mysteries until I get back. Jen Forbus' blog is Jen's Book Thoughts. Check out Kaye Barley's Meanderings and Muses. And, then there's Jungle Red Writers, featuring some of my favorite mystery writers.

I promise I'll be back as soon as I can. Don't forget to come back and read with me!

13 comments:

Rosemary said...

Lesa, I'm sure we all understand - good luck with the chapter, and we look forward to seeing you again when you've got it done.

Rosemary

Lesa said...

Thanks, Rosemary. This chapter means a lot to me. I've put a lot of effort into it. I'll be back as soon as I can!

Kay said...

Oh my, Lesa, you're allowed to take a few days off. I'm sorry you have to rewrite that whole chapter, but I guess it would need to be brought to current status. Take care of yourself!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Kay. Yes, it needs to be brought up-to-date. There are some award winners that weren't mentioned. It was so early that it mentioned Louise Penny's Bury Your Dead, but said it hadn't been nominated for any awards YET. Hah! It won tons of awards, and Trick of the Light has been published and nominated for awards already. That's how behind it was.

Carol N Wong said...

Good Luck on getting it done. I enjoyed reading the other blogs and have subscribed to them too. My appetite for mysteries grows!



CarolNWong(at)aol(dot)com

Joe Barone said...

Understandable. Good luck with your writing.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Carol & Joe. Needed a break from writing, and stopped in to check on comments. See you as soon as I can.

Inside A Book said...

Grace under pressure, that's what you are!! You'll be missed AND thought of. Now, back to work, missy!

Karen C said...

Have every confidence you will meet this deadline. My TBR list can rest a bit, although I know you'll come back to make us aware of even more great reads. Have a safe trip.

Bev Stephans said...

My TBR pile needs a rest. After you finish re-writing the chapter, you'll need a rest. Good luck and we're all rooting for you!! Go Lesa!!

Beth Hoffman said...

Sending you lots of good vibes to finish your project!

Happy Sunday hugs to you and the kitties.

Rosemary said...

Lesa - just popping in to see how you are doing. I miss your daily pick-me-up, so I've been reading some of your archives - luckily for me there are lots! And I'm really enjoying them.

As well as all the wonderful books you review for us, you have so many good ideas around books - like your brown bag lunches for example. It has set me to thinking how we could liven up our little village (and the neighbouring ones), and whenever I feel deflated about the pervading air of apathy, I read some more of your posts and feel reinvigorated.

I hope your writing is going well. I am reading the most recent Alexander McCall Smith Isobel Dalhousie book, 'The Forgotten Affairs of Youth', but although I never thought I'd hear myself saying this, it isn't terribly good.

Have a good day,

Rosemary

Lesa said...

Thank you, Rosemary! I'll be back on schedule tomorrow. I have a guest blog from Kate Carlisle, and I'll have a review of Deborah Crombie's No Mark Upon Her for Thursday. Deborah is appearing at Velma Teague on Thursday, so Friday I'll have a recap of her appearance. I'll be back on track then. Promise!

I'm sorry to hear that about the Alexander MCall Smith/Isobel Dalhousie book. I haven't heard good things about his other series, but I know readers have always liked that one. I'm sorry.