Friday, February 10, 2012

A Day in the Life of a Librarian

Deborah Crombie appeared at Velma Teague Library yesterday. Since I'm still catching up after vacation, it's not fair to her to rush through the recap of her appearance for her No Mark Upon Her book tour. The recap will appear tomorrow.

So, I'm going to give you an idea why I'm running behind. I arrived home from LA on Wednesday night at 9:45, and hit the ground running at work the next day, arriving at 7:30. After pulling the holds reports, and emptying bookdrop, I went to read my email. That's three days of email during a work week, read backwards so I could catch up on issues. I had one email confirming a workshop at another library. I'm going to teach a one hour workshop about book reviewing. I had another email inquiring as to whether I might want to teach a readers' advisory workshop in Pittsburgh when I'm home in October. That's pending. Then, I hit the budget emails. At 9 a.m., my boss showed up to meet with my staff and give us a heads up about forthcoming budget hearings. From 10-11:30, I attended a budget meeting.

Went back to the library, and set up chairs for Deborah's Authors @ The Teague program. I read more email, met with a supervisor, and, then, had a highlight of the day, one reason I'm writing today's blog. One of our patrons stopped in, and asked if I had a minute. I went out to his car with him, and he had a full trunk, filled with pop, juice, glasses, plates, forks, napkins, even ice. And, in the back seat was a cake - all for the staff.

He told me he had wanted to do this for the staff for a while. He bought all of that, picked out the cake. When I introduced him to another manager, he told her he thought the Velma Teague Library was wonderful. The staff was always helpful and professional, and helped him get what he needed. He went on to compliment all of us. It's not every day that a patron tells us thank you, and how much he appreciates what we do. And, this thank you was extraordinary.

Deborah arrived while I was setting everything up. We took time before the program to take a picture of her in front of the poster sent by her publisher, William Morrow.

Deborah Crombie in her Leander cap

It was a terrific program, with a great audience. (I do promise the recap tomorrow.) Deb signed books before heading off to her next program in Sedona.

And, I had an hour to work on the reference desk before heading home. A terrific day ended with a mailbox full of books, twelve of them. Lots of reading ahead.

Thanks for sharing one of my days, a very special one.


Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

A very busy day! Catching up with emails is a tough thing. But it started looking up with the cake and the program...hope you have more days that end up like that one. :)

Lesa said...

Thank you,Elizabeth. Three days gone adds up to quite a few emails at work! As you said, though, the cake and the program more than made up for it!

bermudaonion said...

What a wonderful thank you! It really doesn't take much to brighten someone's day, does it?

Lesa said...

It was a wonderful thank you, Kathy. It takes a thoughtful, generous gesture sometimes.

Joe Barone said...

Isn't it neat to be appreciated? I am thankful for your grateful library patron. He did what many more of us should do.

Lesa said...

Joe, It was a surprise, and it was wonderful. I had a terrific week, as you can tell. But, that was the highlight of the entire week, a grateful patron.

Beth Hoffman said...

What a wonderful surprise. To be recognized by a patron in such a delightful way surely must have made your day! Bless his heart.

Happy Weekend, my friend!

Karen C said...

What a wonderful way to start your day and how terrific that he recognized all of you in that way! Bet it gave you a nice warm feeling in your heart.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Beth and Karen. You're right. It made my whole week, actually. It was so special.

Inside A Book said...

What a memorable week you had. Truly one for the journal!!

The cake was just a pinch of what you deserve. I am so glad when we really act on our thoughts of gratitude. It goes a LONG way! In your patron's honor I intend to take his idea and pay it forward to a few people I know that need a little recognition! Thanks for sharing those smiles!

Welcome were missed!