Tuesday, February 07, 2012

I'm back! (Sort of)

Good morning! I finished that book chapter. It's off to my final reader for a check, and then off to the editors. I'm sure it won't be as hard to work on when it comes back from editors. After eighteen months, it needed to be completely rewritten.

Tomorrow, I'll have a review of Deborah Crombie's No Mark Upon Her. Thursday, Kate Carlisle is my guest blogger. I hope you'll join me in welcoming her.

And, I'll be on my way back from Los Angeles tomorrow. A friend was driving over to go to a concert, and offered me a ride so I could visit my college roommate. It was a six hour drive yesterday. Fabulous evening with Jamie, though. We drove Mulholland Drive. Stunning views of LA from above. We could even see the Hollywood sign below us. Gorgeous houses up there, and some beautiful ones when we ended up in Encino. Jamie, my wonderful LA tour guide, and I, definiely recommend driving Mulholland Dr. The view was even better than the view from Griffith Park Observatory. We walked through Universal City. Jamie was excited that Yogurt Land was giving away free cups of yogurt from 4-7. I told her those were actually $10 cups of yogurt since I paid $10 for the parking. That was dessert before dinner at Miceli's Italian Restaurant. Good Italian food, and it's fun because of the entertainment - piano player, drummer & singing waiters.

We spent forty minutes sitting in a traffic jam because of an accident on the freeway. What's LA without a traffic jam? We were heading to Long Beach. The Vincent Thomas Bridge is gorgeous at night, a 1,500 foot suspension bridge, lit by blue LED lights. In fact, the entire harbor area was beautiful all lit up. We were heading to the Queen Mary, which is free to tour after 6 p.m.



It's a little eerie to do that at night. Very few people around, and it feels as if you are the only people on the ship. Jamie used to play piano there, so she knew her way around so we could zip through. Strange, the anniversary year of the Titanic, and the year of that Italian cruise ship, to see the lifeboats from above, and see how far they would have to be lowered to the water. As I said, the best way to describe the quiet ship at night is eerie. We both agreed, though, that we want to come back sometime and take the Ghost Tour of the Queen Mary.

Jamie is an entertainer. She has a gig today, so I have the afternoon to finish Deborah Crombie's No Mark Upon Her. Review here tomorrow. I'll be back home tomorrow evening. Deborah Crombie is appearing for Authors @ The Teague Thursday afternoon, so I'll have the recap Friday.

Sorry, I deserted you, but back on track tomorrow.

10 comments:

Vivienne said...

You sound so busy! I didn't realise you were writing too.

Joe Barone said...

Welcome back! As a small town person, I can't even visualize that kind of traffic.

Lesa said...

Not fiction, Vivienne. I'm writing a chapter for a reference book. Fortunately, I'm doing the chapter about mysteries. I am busy, and I love it.

Lesa said...

I'd never want to drive in it, Joe, but my friends do the driving here. I drive in Phoenix all the time, which is the 5th largest city in the U.S., but it's a newer city, laid out logically. I'd never want to drive in places like LA or D.C. (where I went to grad school.)

bermudaonion said...

I didn't realize you were writing either. How exciting!

Lesa said...

Don't get excited, everyone. As I said, it's nonfiction, a chapter in a reference book. And, I'm hoping it's eventually published since it's taken us so long to reach this point!

Sharon said...

Hi Lesa, it sounds like you had lots of fun in LA. I haven't seen it since the 60s and I remember dad talking bad about driving in it way back then. It has to be even worse now.

Would love to know the name of the book you wrote the chapter for when ever you can. :)

Karen C said...

Congrats on finishing the chapter - probably a big relief! Glad you had a wonderful time in LA. We're here to welcome you home.

Lesa said...

I wrote a chapter for the forthcoming edition of Genreflecting. Since our deadline isn't until Feb. 15 (but I'm obsessive about making those deadlines early), I have no idea when the book will actually be out.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Karen. Actually, only driving back to AZ today. Had a great time here in LA. Always do. Jamie is a terrific tour guide.