Thursday, January 19, 2012

Winter Brown Bag Luncheon

Yesterday was my winter brown bag luncheon for the library staff. Once again, I had the chance to talk about fifteen books I read in the last few months. Now, I'll share those books with you as well. (I love the brown bag luncheons!)

Best Staged Plans by Claire Cook.  Sandy Sullivan is great at staging houses, but her husband is dragging his feet on selling theirs, so she takes off to Atlanta to visit her daughter.

Dear Me: A Letter to My Sixteen-Year-Old Self edited by Joseph Galliano. Creative successful people offer advice to their sixteen-year-old selves.

A Voice in the Box: My Life in Radio by Bob Edwards. The former NPR commentator  discusses his career.

The Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn.  Fascinating account of how Flinn transformed nine culinary novices into fearless home cooks.

A Vine in the Blood by Leighton Gage.  The kidnapping of a Brazilian soccer player’s mother, just before the World Cup, brings Chief Inspector Mario Silva’s team into the case while the entire country watches.

Down the Darkest Road by Tami Hoag. The disappearance of Lauren Lawton’s daughter four years earlier haunts her life and that of her daughter. Once she moves to Oak Knoll, CA, that case becomes an issue of the police in that town since she claims her daughter’s kidnapper is there.

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz. The only authorized Sherlock Holmes novel finds Watson narrating an old case in which Holmes takes on the highest ranks of society following the murder of a young boy.

Walter’s Muse by Jean Davies Okimoto.  In the first summer of her retirement, a school librarian’s peaceful island life is disrupted by her sister’s appearance, and her neighbor, a famous children’s author.

Sketch Me If You Can by Sharon Pape. First in the Portrait of Crime series brings together a police sketch artist on Long Island, and the ghost of an Arizona federal marshal as they become partners in the search for a killer.

Following Atticus by Tom Ryan. An overweight, middle-aged newspaper man adopts a  miniature schnauzer who becomes his companion in hiking New Hampshire’s White Mountains.

Best Friends, Occasional Enemies by Lisa Scottoline and Francesca Serritella. Essays about the lighter side of life and the mother/daughter relationship.

The Night Sky: A Journey From Dachau to Denver and Back by Maria Sutton. A woman’s journey to find her father, and her family takes her back to WWII and its aftermath.

Everything I Know About Love I Learned from Romance Novels by Sara Wendell. Lessons about life and romance that can be learned from romance novels.

The Mother Daughter Show by Natalie Wexler. Every year, the mothers of the senior girls at an exclusive DC prep school put on a talent show, an endeavor that can lead to pettiness, bitterness and disaster, as well as humor.

The Magic Room: A Story About the Love We Wish For Our Daughters by Jeffrey Zaslow. The story of Becker’s Bridal in Fowler, Michigan, the family that owns it, & eight of the 100,000 brides who bought their wedding dresses there.


Carol N Wong said...

I miss the brown bag lunches of college! Thanks for sharing your presentation that you gave a work.


Lesa said...

You're welcome, Carol. And, I'll be doing one again in a few weeks, that time for the public.

Ellery Adams said...

Thanks for posting these! I have my eye on several of them!

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Ellery! I'm glad I could tease you with a couple of the titles.

Rosemary said...

What is a brown bag luncheon? (Lesa, as you see, I am back in business....)


Lesa said...

Welcome back, Rosemary! I'm glad your computer and connection is working again.

A brown bag luncheon is one in which people bring their own lunch. I do one a quarter for staff, and one for the public. They bring their lunch and eat while I talk about 15 recent books. Then, they can check them out afterward, if they'd like.

When I do it for the public, they can bring lunch, and I provide water, coffee & cookies.

Rosemary said...

Lesa, that sounds great. I wish our libraries were a bit more innovative.

Having said that, I have just requested a ticket (free) for an author evening at my nearest branch library at Gullane. It is for a writer called Caro Ramsay, I believe she writes mysteries - although the branch doesn't actually have any of her books! They say they have sent out an urgent plea to the other branches to send over any they have. I thought it would be fun, plus it has the adde It d advantage of being only 2 miles away, which in the bleak midwinter is quite a consideration for me. It is scheduled for the first week of February.


Lesa said...

That's wonderful, Rosemary. I haven't kicked off my Authors @ The Teague season, so you probably aren't familiar with those yet, but I regularly bring authors to the library. One of my favorite projects!

Karen C said...

I have several of these books on my TBR list and actually own one of the books! Now I just have to start reading .... ;O