Saturday, January 07, 2012

One Perfect Shot by Steven F. Havill

Oh, do I have a treat for you. If you haven’t yet discovered Steven F. Havill’s Posadas County mysteries, the latest one is the perfect jumping off point. One Perfect Shot is set before any of the other stories in the series, and it’s just the right introduction to the series.

Undersheriff Bill Gastner narrates the story of a shooting in the small New Mexico County, the death of a county employee shot to death with one bullet while he was in the county grader. Everyone in the area knew Larry Zipoli, but it was hard to believe that anyone had a reason to kill him. It was going to take some digging to find the answer in this case.

But, Gastner would have someone to bounce ideas off of. Although Gastner was in charge of the day-to-day operations of the department, once in a while the sheriff would surprise him. And, he certainly did when he interviewed Estelle Reyes with an eye to bringing her on board as a deputy after she went through the academy and training. Reyes would be the first female deputy in the department. Gastner was impressed with her when he sat down with her, and she would prove that she could work long hours, and offer good suggestions. She would need to do that on a force that was sorely understaffed, especially when it came time to work a murder investigation.

Havill’s One Perfect Shot is a terrific police procedural, as Gastner details every step of their investigation. There may be a little too much information about ammunition and guns for some of us, though. Even so, if you’re a fan of the series, it’s a treat to read the backstory, to “meet” Estelle Reyes at the same time Gastner does, and to see a little younger Gastner. And, if you haven’t yet discovered the Posadas County series, but like police procedurals, I think you’ll appreciate this “first” story in the series. You’re in for a treat.

One Perfect Shot by Steven F. Havill. Poisoned Pen Press, ©2012. ISBN 9781590589540 (hardcover), 250p.


FTC Full Disclosure – I picked up my copy through NetGalley.

10 comments:

Kay said...

OK, I vow right now that 2012 is the year that I will start reading this series. I've meant to for a long time and even have the "former" 1st in the series here at home. Think it is called HEARTSHOT. Thanks for remiding me, Lesa! I'll see if I can get this one when I visit the PP next month.

Lesa said...

Now that's the kind of New Year's resolution I could keep, Kay. I love this series. Not that he has done One Perfect Shot, and you haven't started Heartshot yet, I'd wait and start with One Perfect Shot. It's a great way to kick off the series.

Karen C said...

I'm going to be the opposite of Kay this year and exercise some restraint. I can't start another series just because it sounds like a good read - I need to work on my TBR pile {that fell over when I wasn't looking :O} Okay - I'm going to TRY to exercise some restraint!!

Gran said...

I have not read this series, but it sounds good. Going to give it a try.

Lesa said...

I won't tease you about it, Karen. I'm just going to continue to do what I'm doing here, recommending books or telling you what I thought of them. Anything else, including restraint, is up to you.

Lesa said...

If you try it, Gran, come back and tell us what you thought.

Karen C said...

Oh, and I wouldn't want you to do anything different, Lesa - that's why I'm here. It's okay if you tease, too! :O

Lesa said...

Not one thing different, Karen. More giveaways this week, along with book reviews. (smile)

Nancy said...

I love finding a new-to-me series with earlier books to catch up on. Thanks, Lesa!

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Nancy. I hope you enjoy this one!