Friday, January 06, 2012

Happy Anniversary - To Us



On January 6, 2005, I wrote the first entry in the blog that would eventually become Lesa's Book Critiques. At that time, I called it Nikki's World, naming it after the kitten that was dropped off at the library. Eventually, Maddee James of Xuni.com suggested that I change the name to reflect the book aspect of the blog, and to show it's mine. The second entry on Jan. 7, said, "I'm going to talk about books - what I'm reading, hope to read, quotes, authors, anything about the book world. Hope you want to talk!" That hasn't really changed much, has it? I'm still doing the same thing, with an emphasis on mysteries. And, I'm about to start the eighth year of writing this blog.

As time has gone on, I've enjoyed writing this blog more than I ever imagined. And, I've "met" wonderful friends through it, readers, authors, publicists, publishers' representatives, other librarians. I can't thank you enough for coming here, reading with me, catching me up to date on your reading, and, in some cases, your lives. And, I never would have imagined in 2005 that Jim would die in 2010, and so many of you would be here for me. You commented on his eulogy, and, in some cases, even gave money to your libraries in his memory. I can't thank you enough for all the times you've visited Lesa's Book Critiques.

Times are changing. Barbara Peters from The Poisoned Pen always says, though, that the format may be changing, but people will always want stories. I hope I'll continue to be here with you for quite a while to discuss those stories. I still want to discuss books, particularly mysteries, in whatever format. (Myself, I'm still fond of the actual paper book.)

So, I couldn't think of a good way to celebrate with you. I could only think to offer a week's worth of contests, seven days of them, for the seven years I've been writing this blog. I'll kick it off today, and each morning for the next seven days, I'll tell you what book I'll offer. The winners will all be announced on Thursday night, Jan. 12 at 6 p.m. MT, when I'll then kick off the new year of weekly contests.

Don't worry, though. The next week isn't going to be only about contests. I'll still be reviewing books. But, today I wanted to pause, say thank you, and Happy Anniversary to us.

So, this contest is going to feature seven of my favorite authors. Not that I don't have a number of others that I like. I just happen to have copies of books by these authors that I can give away. And, I'm doing them in alphabetical order by author, since I'm a librarian (grin). So, let's start with Juliet Blackwell's Dead Bolt. It's the latest in her Haunted Home Renovation mystery series. Set in San Francisco, it features general contractor Melanie Turner, who restores old houses, but has to deal with the ghosts who haunt the houses before she can finish her jobs.

I'm going to make all of these contests easy this week. For this week only, email me at my gmail address - Lesa.Holstine@gmail.com. Your entries MUST include your name and mailing address. And, each day, the subject line only has to read win...the title of the book. So, to win this book, your subject heading should read - "Win Dead Bolt." That's it. You have until Thursday night at 6 p.m. to enter. Each contest will end at the same time.

The contests are just a small way of saying thank you. Thank you for being here with me for the last seven years. I hope you continue to visit, to read, and to comment as we start the eighth year here at Lesa's Book Critiques. Happy Anniversary, to all of us who love to read and share books.

40 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary, Lesa!

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary,Lesa. Keep up the great work.

honeymoon travel ideas said...

I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. I added to my favorite blogs list..
Congrats for the blog!

Lesa said...

Thanks, everyone. It's been a terrific seven years. I'm looking forward to the next year of reading & talking about books with you.

Kay said...

Amazing! Seven years. A very happy anniversary to you, Lesa. I've have enjoyed finding and reading your blog so very, very much. And, here's to another 7 years to come. Cheers!

bermudaonion said...

Seven years of blogging is amazing! Happy blogiversary, Lesa!

Kaye Barley said...

Seven years. Amazing. And here's to many more - Happy Anniversary, Lesa!!

Hugs!
Kaye

Joe Barone said...

I'm glad you write this blog. It has led me to a lot of enjoyable books. Happy Anniversary!

Karen B said...

Congratulations on 7 years of blogging! I look forward to reading you daily. HUGS! Karen

Bev Stephans said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary. May you have many blogging years ahead of you.

Lesa said...

Thank you, everyone! And, Joe, I really appreciate that comment, that the blog has led you to a number of enjoyable books. Thank you!

Ingrid King said...

Happy Anniversary, Lesa! Wow, seven years! That's amazing.

Thank you for bringing so many wonderful books into my life for the last two or so years that I've been following your blog!

le0pard13 said...

Congrats, Lesa! What a run. Thanks.

Lesa said...

Thank you! It's been a joy, and I hope to continue it.

Radine Trees Nehring said...

Love the balloons and wish you, along with all your appreciative audience, many more anniversaries. Thank you for the service you offer the writing community.

Roni said...

Happy Anniversary, Lesa! And what a great first give-away, Dead Bolt, hot off the New York Times bestsellers.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Radine. I love the writing community. Without writers, readers have nothing. Thank you for everything you do!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Roni! I have six more fun giveaways lined up, too.

Gigi Pandian said...

I already have Dead Bolt, but I just wanted to stop in to say thanks for your wonderful blog!

Even though I rarely comment, I frequently read the blog since you talk about so many good books. In the new year, I hope to be better at commenting on blogs I appreciate.

Jody said...

Happy Anniversary! I'll probably be sending contest entries too.
I do enjoy your blog.

Jody

LSUReader said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary. I wish you and the blog many more great years!

Karen C said...

Happy Anniversay and Congratulations! Seven years is a wonderful achievement and I hope you have many more years in writing this blog. I'm a relatively new follower - sometime last year - but enjoy every post. Even if I have added way too many books to the TBR list!!
Thanks, Lesa, for all you do.

Gran said...

Happy Anniversary! I enjoy reading your blog, and will keep reading (although I do not comment that often) as long as you keep writing.

Lesa said...

This post was worth writing today just to see the notes from people who don't comment very often. However, it's even better to know you're stopping by and reading regularly, whether or not you post.

You don't know how much I enjoy sharing this with all of you. Thank you for allowing me to do it.

Anonymous said...

LESA -- HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!! I only discovered your blog a year or two ago and I have found so many great books through you (and won some wonderful ones too). I hope you keep on for many more years! Thanks for these you are celebrating now!

--BrendaW.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Brenda. I'm so glad you discovered my blog. Thanks for following.

Bev said...

Congratulations Lesa on seven years! While others are declaring that blogging is dead, I'm glad that you are continuing on. I love being able to read your great reviews and deciding if I really want to spend the time reading the book. Here's to many more successful years!

Mariandy said...

Congrats and thanks for all you do. You're one of the reasons I enjoy reading! Cheers!

jenny milchman said...

Happy, happy anniversary to one of my favorite bloggers! Publisher Amy Einhorn offered a twist on Barbara Peters' statement: That the train people forgot they were in the transportation business and thought they were in the business of trains, and that book people shouldn't mistake being in the *story* business with being in print. I'm with you, though, Lesa, and I hope both books and digital media can happily coexist.

And that you will be here to review them :)

Beth Hoffman said...

Joyous Anniversary, Lesa! Your blog it tops with me for so many reasons...and so are you!

Lesa said...

Thank you SO much, everyone! I was out tonight. The library system had a post-New Year's party. I'm so into partying that I left about 8 p.m., though. But, we make really good food, and someone told me I won the dessert contest because mine was all gone by 8 p.m.

Bev, Jenny & Beth. Thank you so much. I love every one of you. However, that comment from Mariandy that I'm one of the reasons she enjoys reading is the perfect way to end the evening. Thank you.

Carol M said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, Lesa! I always enjoy reading your posts!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Carol! I'll try to keep those reviews coming.

Megan said...

Hello!
I have just stumbled across this blog and find it very useful for future reads! I have just started a book review blog myself and wondered if you had any tips/advice for a fellow book reviewer and first time blogger!

Thanks
Megan
www.megjopol.com

clark hotel said...

Happy Anniversary!

Books and Manual said...

So happy to be given a privilege to post a comment here. You have a wonderful site. Thank you for the effort to publish this.

www.gofastek.com

lee woo said...

I like your post a lot! You should write some more on this!Great job coming with such terrific post!


mocsbar.com

Cindy Dy said...

I like the way on how you put up your blogs. Wonderful and awesome. Hope to read more post from you in the future. Goodluck. Happy blogging!

Bubble
www.gofastek.com

lee woo said...

I'm addicted to exercising and I have to do something every day. See the link below for more info.

#addicted
www.ufgop.org

Nathalie Uy said...

Good vibes. Everyday, all day.
imarksweb.net. God Bless :)