Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Frozen Fluff for Potlucks

‘Tis the season. And, this week, I have five meetings, a holiday  breakfast, and two potlucks, all before Friday. Is it any wonder I didn’t get a chance to finish a book last night? I had to make cookies for one meeting, and a dessert for a potluck. But, I couldn’t skip my blog. My mom and one of my sisters email and ask if I’m OK if my blog doesn’t appear on time.

So, I’m going to share an easy dessert to take to holiday potlucks. It’s going to today’s with me. And, it actually morphed from a dessert in a book, Wanda E. Brunsetetter’s Amish Friends Cookbook: Desserts, so it’s also book-related.

It started out as a dessert called Frozen Strawberry Pudding. Here’s the recipe, if you choose to use strawberries. (I made it, and passed it on to Mom, who loves strawberries.)

1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
¾ cup sugar
1 quart strawberries, sliced
1 (8 oz.)carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
3 cups miniature marshmallows

Blend cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add strawberries and whipped topping. Stir in marshmallows and freeze.

Simple, right? Very good, too. But, when I ate it, I thought, this would be really good with pineapple. And, I took out the strawberries, and used two large cans of chunk pineapple. Loved it!

But, Mom improved it. She used two large cans of crushed pineapple, well-drained. And, she found whipped cream cheese with pineapple (8 oz.), and used that, so she didn’t have to worry about softening the cream cheese, and added a little more pineapple. I haven’t yet found the whipped cream cheese with pineapple here, but regular whipped cream cheese would work.

I haven’t yet added maraschino cherries, but if you choose to add those, it might look even more festive.

So, here’s my easy dessert for a potluck, now called Frozen Fluff. It might help you when you have no time.


Karen C said...

I like that it's so easy and sounds good, too. Thanks. I love collecting recipes!

Lesa said...

It's very easy, Karen. And, the staff for the brown bag luncheon liked it today.